Ugh..mommas still sitting on some eggs but the hatched ones r all over

Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
Plant City, FL.
the place...i checked on them earlier but only thing is i'm concered about them going down (its a little bit of a hump) and not being able to get "back" to her...?

ALSO, if she's still sitting, does that mean she "knows" some are still going to hatch?

I don't really know but do know they were cheeping last night that i heard...didnt see any of them so they could have just been pip'd...saw 2 this am early and have i THINK 5 total now? She is with them in her coop alone so im just hoping for the best and that they dont get lost in there or not able to get back up to her if they get down from the box she's laying in....she is still sitting on 3 that i KNOW of but i dont know what going on/if there pip'd or not?

Oh, well, if she's got the full run of the coop alone with her babies and the eggs are just a few days off of each other then let her be. Just give the babies some kind of hopping platforms to get to mom if needed. You'd be amazed at how high a chick can jump!

I'd pull the unhatched eggs so she'll care for the chicks. Most of the time the momma hen will abandon the eggs to care for the chicks on her own, but my BO let three chicks starve/dehydrate to death because she wouldn't give up on the two dud eggs that were still in the nest. I was working a lot of overtime and wasn't getting home until after the birds were bedded down for the night and thought that the new family was just returning to the nest at bedtime.

Back
Top Bottom