Ugh, need to start over

OP, just checked craigslist in your area (RI), and there are many chicks for sale. You should have no problem finding chicks. Orpingtons and French Black Copper Marans were available in your area, and those are good breeds to have if you want just a few chicks. BTW, one of my best breeders I met on craigslist, so it is a legit source. Best of luck.

Sorry, 2 different people. The person who started this lost a chick. I just chimed in looking for late chicks. So yes a hard lesson. Me just late in the spring to make a decision. LOLL
No, it's not late at all. I just checked craigslist in your area, and there are lots of chicks available at a much cheaper price then you would have found at TSC. Check out these Lavender Orpingtons in Lathrop:

upload_2017-5-21_21-52-52.png

Or, how about these Buff Orpingtons in Adrian:
upload_2017-5-21_21-56-9.png

Now, go get some chicks! Best of luck! :cool:

OP, just checked craigslist in your area (RI), and there are many chicks for sale. You should have no problem finding chicks. Orpingtons and French Black Copper Marans were available in your area, and those are good breeds to have if you want just a few chicks. BTW, one of my best breeders I met on craigslist, so it is a legit source. Best of luck.

Thaks. Most on Craig's list I've seen are straight run and not sexed. I cannot have roosters in the city so it still leaves with chicks I can't keep. Those lavenders are adorable, I haven't found those but will give them a call. DD lives up there and is about 30 min away.

Tell the seller your situation, and I bet he or she will work with you. Most of us who raise Orpingtons can pick out the pullets from the cockerels early on.

I made a mistake earlier; it's the Buffs that are four-weeks old, not the Lavenders. You can definitely pick out the pullets at that age. They have smaller combs and thinner feet. Both the Lavenders and the Buffs are a great deal. I hope you end up with a happy outcome. Please post and let us know how things turn out for you. Take care.

Also, even if you get the Lavenders straight run, you will have no problem giving away the Lavender cockerels. That is an in-demand color, and people who breed them will cross a Lavender rooster with a Black Orpington hen every sixth generation (I believe, but I could be wrong on the number of generation when you would cross back to black.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom