*Ugh so frustrated!!!*

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tripp16, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok heres the problem!

I got 2 hens that are already laying and they are picking on my little 4 month old pullets! They wont let them eat or drink they run them off and peck at their necks! I didnt want these two but they were kinda juts thrown onto me.

I thought they were going to be fine because they all roosted together last night! I dont know whether to get rid of the mean hen or what? I know one thing this fighting is making me crazzzyyyyy!!! [​IMG]

Please help!!!!

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    hello.
    could you seperate the 2 laying hens. until the others are fully grown. what kind of chickens are all these?

3. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    How long have they been together? There is usually some scuffling at first then when the young ones learn to respect their elders things settle down.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

You could try pulling the bully out and putting her in chicken jail for a week or two. Knock her down a peg or two.

Imp

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Your problem is exactly the reason why having more than one feeder and waterer is so important. The older ones can starve the younger ones out; even when you only have a small flock.

You've already been giving suggestions on how to deal with the aggression.

6. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    The big hens are Star chickens. And they all have only been together for 2 days. I have tried the chicken Jail and it just made them mad! Lol plus I feel bad for her.
    I feel like I have ruined my flocks peace and settlement.... [​IMG]

7. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:I have more than 2 waterers and feeders. They just chase them away when the littles go to eat from the opposite one. [​IMG]

8. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    You feel bad for the one in chicken jail? Tough Love girl! There is a reason she is in jail. When she behaves herself, she can come out. Otherwise, she will always bully. Don' be an enabler:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by