Ugh! So much WASTE!

I used the first type when they were chicks. They do make a mess.

Your second one is the one I use now. Hang it with some tie wire a few inches off the ground and they won't step in it. If they are climbing all over it they might be a little to confined. Maybe expand their living quarters if you can. I only fill it about 1/3- 1/2 way. You do need a dry space for it.
smile.png

First of all the first feeder is crap.

Second of all the second feeder should be hung from the ceiling. They do have coned shaped lids but I find it easier to fill when it's hanging and I don't need a lid.

Three the third feeder I've never seen before but looks similar to the home made PVC feeders that I intend to make for grit.

Four, instead of crumbles, if that is what you are using, switch to pellets. This way if they knock some out on to the floor they can pick it up.

I wish you well,

Rancher

Quote:
Yes, but you'll have to get a little handy. I'm not, but I do have a drill and bought some PVC glue. It really is not hard to put pipe together.

Mine does not waste feed, they can't poop in it, it doesn't get wet and the other critters can't get into it.

It's pictured on this thread.

smile.png
Good luck.

Thanks, spoof, I ordered that part on ebay. I think I can fairly easily adapt my existing PVC feeder with that piece, so they don't spill it all out. Did you drill a hole in the end of a PVC cap to fit that piece in there?

I am really surprised there isn't anything better on the market. Clearly there's a need for much smaller, quality feeders for people with just a few chickens.

With 14 chickens I have a few more than you do, but their feeder doesn't get pooped in, and they can't knock the feed out of it. I use a metal pan about 16" in diameter and about 3" deep with a wire spoke-like cone shaped cover on top. Both pieces came from the feed store. The chickens stick their heads through the "spokes" to get the feed.

Back
Top Bottom