Ugh..Something died.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Redfeathers, May 26, 2008.

1. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Under my little barn, we had possums invading last week but I think we got them because they haven't been back. We shot four and threw them in the garbage. Now however there is that sickly sweet smell of something dead under the barn and we can't get to it to remove it. How long with this last? Between my meat birds and this smell, I'm sure my neighbors will be wishing we had never moved here. It's really bad. [​IMG]

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I would think two to three weeks. Best of luck- this situation really stinks! [​IMG]

3. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    could there have been babies under there? bearing in mind that at most times they are with their mom.

4. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    its probably just some chicken legs that are left over so hopefully it wont last more than a week or two.

5. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Thankfully they didn't get the meat birds, they just wanted their food. The meaties have a stench of their own though.

6. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Is there any way to shoot some lime under there. That will help what ever it is to decomp quicker and mask the smell somewhat. When my Grandad had a cow to die from something unusual he would dig a big hole with the tractor, put the cow in the hole and pour lime on it to help it break down faster.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  7. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    It will smell as long as it takes for it to dessicate. Lime is a great idea and so is borax(available from the supermarket).
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by