UGH! What is wrong with my rooster?

amarook

Songster
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Wellsburg
Clovis is driving me nuts.
he.gif
It is almost 2 am and he was out there crowing his fool head off!!!
somad.gif

I had to go out and give him a lecture. He was not pleased... but I doubt my neighbors are either. He's quiet now.

Any ideas why a rooster would crow at all hours?
roll.png

He crows ALL day long too. He usually doesn't start till after 5am. This crowing at 2 is not going to be tolerated if it becomes a habit.

Roosters come in a multitude of breeds including the Golden Laced Wyandotte which is the rooster pictured on a certain breakfast cereal box. Growing up to 8 1/2 pounds the rooster is one of the most handsome of all breeds. The Black Jersey Giant is a prized show-bird weighing in at 11 pounds; standing out from the crowd, his black feathers have a green sheen and he has greenish-blue legs. Both these large breeds have good lungs for crowing at length and are extremely protective of their harem of hens. Acting as "look-outs" you will find these breeds frequently up trees scanning the horizon for danger.

Theories/Speculation

Theories as to why roosters crow vary from disturbances in the coop at night, to neighborhood sounds that may seem to the rooster to be a sign of impending attack on his flock. A car starting will set the rooster crowing and perhaps this may be a territorial crowing similar to the barking of a dog protecting his territory. Switching on a light in the middle of the night will start a crowing fest; this may be because roosters believe the sun is rising.

Features

A capon is a rooster that has been castrated. The rooster's reproductive organs are mainly internal although a short organ is produced from his body for mating purposes only. Once these organs are removed through surgical procedure, the capon will develop a buff, meatier appearance; the meat will not be stringy and tough like a regular slender rooster, but melt-in-the-mouth tender dark and white meat. The capon loses his aggressions and territorial instincts that he once possessed and acts more like a hen; he also loses his need to crow. The capon's dark and white meat is considered a delicacy to connoisseurs of fine meats.

Warning

Rooster's crow to ward off what they see as a threat or trespassers to their coop. Roosters that are roaming "free range" with their hens will use their "spurs" located behind their claws to defend their territory. Never turn your back on a rooster because if he thinks his hens are in danger, he will attack by puffing out his feathers and flying at your back; spurs first. Hens will lay eggs without the help of a rooster; however, roosters fertilize the hen's eggs for the production of chicks.

Types

Bantam roosters as well as standard roosters crow as loud as the other despite their small size. Rooster's start crowing at around five months of age and crow regularly until they die of natural causes or get put in the crock pot

Bump i would like to know also , i went out tonight to check on my chickens because i heard coyotes close by and low and be hold , whos making noise , (Ricky) my Blue Cochin Roo. And i told him come on its 1130 almost midnight you need to be quite i shut the door and cock a doo da doo AGAIN , i yelled out RICKYYYYYYY and he shut up from there haha !!!

But i would like to know also why a roo will roo at all hours of the night ,, ima research it now

Last edited:
smile.png

Yea, I've read all that stuff before too.
Sometimes I think Clovis just has too much Clovis in him. lol

My other Roo, Reggie a RIR is older than him. He just started crowing, and he only crows in the morning. He's on the bottom rung of the pecking ladder though.

Clovis is an Amber sex-link. He's gorgeous, just happens to be a BRAT. too.
3782851143_bef78688cb.jpg

I think he's starting to think about threatening me. When they are out in the yard, sometimes he approaches me, and circles me while just barely flapping his wings.

It figures he's the one I spoiled rotten.

He ever comes at me with intent, he's getting a boot up the butt.

My 2 Roo's are also Amber sex links and crow ALL day long! My Puff Daddy (formally Creampuff before I knew he was a "he") looks identicle to Clovis. Maybe it's the breed? The neighbors have laughed and said my roo's need a watch!
lol.png

Quote:
Well that's good they are laughing!
smile.png

I asked my one neighbor if the birds were bothering them at all.
The husband is really cool. He said "Not at all! I don't even hear them." I'm wondering if the wife feels the same way.

Then my other neighbors are an elderly couple. I am thinking they are hard of hearing because when their phone rings we can hear it. lol
So I'm hoping that they don't hear Clovis and his racket.
big_smile.png

amarook, I just want to know what you SAID in your talk to Clovis that made him stop crowing! Patent it, and you could make gazillions, I think! OH, BTW - he's VERY pretty!

Sometimes, roosters just crow...because they can.

Quote:
LOL!

I just think it was how I said it not what I said. lol
I just opened the door to the coop, turned on the light, and started ranting.

"Are you crazy?!? It's 2 am! Shut the H#ll up!" He just sat there looking at me, and blinking.

Oh I was also 2 inches from his face.

Then I knocked him off his roost. Hovered over him for a second to make sure he got the point, then left.

I was really surprised he didn't start crowing again as I shut the coop door. LOL
lol.png

Quote:
Unfortunately, I think it's the most gorgeous roos that tend to be the biggest brats! Maybe because we give them more attention when they're young, which fills their heads with their own self-importance... or maybe just because they somehow know they look GOOD!

My boys sometimes give me strange looks when they're protecting their girls... but only the big roo has actually attacked anyone. We've been trying to retrain him, so he stops going after people. It's working somewhat, but we still have to constantly reinforce our dominance over him, to remind him on a regular basis. I think he's getting better, though, because there are times when he's as sweet and docile as can be (usually when he's away from his hens).

For me it varies day to day. I have a horrible speckled sussex rooster who will try to attack you through the fence. As they look for a weak spot in their opponents, he waits until I am most vulnerable, when I walk away. I can hear his pounding feet on the dirt running at me. So I quickly turn around.. and he stops dead and turns his head around like he wasn't doing a darn thing at all. I have had to fight him off literally before. He does nothing except warn at approaching danger and he goes and hides with them.

Anyway my problem is that I raised 10 roosters together, they are all going on 7 months old. They crow at all hours of the night. When they hear the sliding door, the car starting, the emus booming away. So it is all hours of the night that this group crows and once one does it they all have to do it. I have 4 other chicken runs, all have hens with one rooster and they stay silent all night long. And Kato, the sussex, he only crows when I play music super loud late at night, like telling me to shut it up already. lol

Back
Top Bottom