Ugly chickens - what is wrong with this chicken????

Try talking to your neighbor about it. He or she might be happy to tell you why the birds are missing feathers and whether it is contagious, or they may appreciate having another person to help problem solve.

Good luck!

57770_chix.jpg

This is what they USED to look like ~

Thank you all for your suggestions and thoughts. He is not a very approachable neighbor and of course, it's hard to tell someone they aren't taking care of their animals properly. I will try to give him a suggestion or two and see how he reacts. I just feel bad for the chickens! I take them treats and they just go crazy ~ Thanks again!

Thank you all for your suggestions and thoughts. He is not a very approachable neighbor and of course, it's hard to tell someone they aren't taking care of their animals properly. I will try to give him a suggestion or two and see how he reacts. I just feel bad for the chickens! I take them treats and they just go crazy ~ Thanks again!

Approach the situation with an open mind and assume that your neighbor is doing his very best to care for his animals until you have solid evidence to the contrary. The owner may very well be doing everything within his means to treat his chickens. Ask questions and express your concern, but save unsolicited advice until your neighbor asks for it. I figure that your neighbor can't be too unapproachable if you have permission to feed and photograph his chickens, so that gives you several good segues into a conversation -- i.e. "Hello Mr. Beethoven, I was just bringing over another batch of treats for your chickens, and I couldn't help but notice . . ." It may very well be something as simple as him not having enough money between paychecks to afford a cure for their condition.

Best Regards,
Derek​

Quote:
My mother-in-law once adopted a horse from a horse rescue organization. It took a year to nurse that animal back to health and return it to a healthy weight, and that entire time she had to put up with constant animal control reports from motorists who drove past and saw that unhealthy-looking animal that she was working like mad to save. I couldn't imagine calling animal control on anyone, much less my own neighbor, without having the common courtesy to talk to them, inquire after the animal, and offer some assistance.

Best Regards,
Derek

I agree that approaching the neighbor with the line "I was bringing over some treat and have noticed that a few are really losing their feathers." Perhaps even adding that you'd be happy to help if these hens are riddled with mites or another illness.

Back
Top Bottom