ugly legs...

Nyna

Songster
12 Years
Jul 3, 2007
Western Montana
Do you think they have mites? They've been like this sense I got them and I thought it was normal until I read the other post. If it is mites, I can't catch them so can I do something else to treat it? I heard somewhere to paint diesel fuel on the roost?
sad.png

IMG_1888.jpg

Yup, grab em off the roost in the dark. I heard vaseline works well too.

Jody

Oh geeze- If it's not one thing it's another huh. Well, I really can't catch them, I mean, if I sneak up one, the rest will freak out and I'll have birds boking and feathers flying! That's unfortunate. I heard they had leg mites when the scales looked pushed up underneath... it's not like that, they have like dry warty looking legs... Oh well, I figured it was something not good. So no one has heard of the diesel thing? Any other way besides catching them and rubbing Vaseline on them while I get pecked to death?
lol.png

Nyna, please don't be afraid to hold her. They are not as viscious at night as they act in the daytime sometimes. They cannot see at night and usually just purr because they are scared. When you go to get her, take hold of her firmly on her wings. Pick her up and hold her close to your chest (this will keep her calm). Have someone else apply the vaseline and then place her gently on the roost (making sure her feet are set, so she doesn't have to flap). The others shouldn't move if you move quietly and gently. If they're familiar with your voice, sometimes it helps to talk to them so they know you are coming and you're not a predator.

Getting them off the roost at night is the best time to get to know ones that don't like to be held.

I don't want to recommend treating the roosts because so many things can go wrong with that. For one, they could slip and fall - someone could get hurt. Plus their feet are sensitive to bringing in bacteria, so don't want to risk anything unnecessary. Although you will likely need to treat the roosts with something while they are out to eliminate the problems (i.e. diluted bleach solution or mite spray).

Jody

Another proven method that totally works, that also will involve taking the birds from the roost is... 50% kerosine and 50% raw linseed oil. ( Not boiled linseed oil ) Then using a coffee can or small pail, simply dip the legs all the way in, repeat in ten days and bye bye scaly leg mites.

bigzio

We've had success with WD-40. Usually it takes both of us to do it. But one I did it by myself and I waited till they were just getting srttled on the roosti and just got down and sprayed their legs while they were on the roost. Talking to them does help. They also will get used to you more if you hang around with treats! They will do just about anything for treats.

I use mineral oil mixed with tea tree oil

You can use almost any oily thing, but Tea trea oil has natural antibiotic and antifungal properties, so it helps with secondary issues.

To treat the roosts, I use orange oil (sold at all Ace Hardware stores as Orange Guard). I also spray it on ALL the woodwork in the coop.

Getting them at night is not as bad as you might think. WELL WORTH THE EFFORT FOR THE HEALTH OF YOUR BIRDS!

I currently have one with advanced scaley mites (I rescued her). Her scales are coming off and her legs look swollen and sort of warty looking. She also had the beginnings of bumble foot which tea tree oil also helps.

Good luck
Sandra

Back
Top Bottom