Uh-oh, 3 eggs missing from under broody, no chicks to show for it

calicokat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
azalia, indiana
We had a batch of eggs under a broody, should hatch this holiday weekend. Last week she broke one and man did it STINK! I cleaned up the nest, new straw etc. and disposed of the egg shell. 7 eggs left.

Today, I go to take her off the nest for her daily food/water break and only 4 eggs left. No stink, no shells, just missing three eggs. Of course, she's not talking.

She is enclosed and none of the other hens can get to her. I didn't take her off the nest yesterday due to family crisis with middle DD, but she does have food and water in with her.

So, my worst thought . . . . did they hatch and she ate them or something? (Please please say no
hu.gif

are you sure the eggs did not get pushed down into the bottom of the nest?
i don't think she would have ate them... you would probably see some remenent of the shells.
can a rat get in there .... they have been known to take eggs right out from under the hen...
rant.gif

I has the same thing happen to me last month, then I saw it, the snake. You take her off her nest. I didn't know you had to do that. I have a hen that I really don't think she's got off her nest the whole 18 days she's been sitting. I've offered her, her favorite treats and she still won't take anything. But she only has a couple days left. So I assume she knows best and will take care of it after she is done. I hope you find out who is stealing your eggs . Good lick Michele

Yeah, I pick her up, carry her outside the coop and put her in a nice spot. She usually pecks around, makes that one big stinky Broody poo for the day (phew!) drinks and putters for about 10 minutes or so. Then trots back to the coop and hops back up to the nest.

I'm encouraged and I'll go poke around her nest area a bit more. She's got a nice bit of space - about 2foot by 3 foot square. I put a single row of bricks down the middle to seperate her straw nest area from the pine shavings area for them to hang out in.

My guess is a snake. I lost 3 2-day old chicks overnight last month. I finally killed the culprit(s) over the last couple weeks- 2 enormous rat snakes! I'm just hoping there aren't more.

I did find one smashed in her nest. And today, another. They had stopped developing (and started rotting - ugh!) at some point. So, we're down to 2 eggs and not really expecting any to make it.

Off I go to search for some day old, brown egg layers to sneak under the broody and fool her! bummer.

Back
Top Bottom