Uh oh, Broody not excepted anymore. *flock problems*

happyhens44

BroodyAddict
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Northern WI
My broody is on day 12, and she goes out into the coop once a day to poop eat drink, and the flock has been bullying her bad
sad.png

Questions

* After she chicks are raised how will I re-interduce her, and the chicks to the flock?
* how long will question on take?
* What should I do in the mean time, shes seperated from the flock in the mean time in a cage were her nest and all that stuff is

she only goes with the flock once a day

- I have another brooy on day 2, and all this stuff is starting to happen with her now....

Thanks, please respond soon.

Someone will answer that really knows. Your problem is the reason I have made the Broody Bungalow. Once one goes broody I will move her to that pen and coop. It was a fear I had along with the fact that my RIR hens seem to be pretty mean. I want the chicks to have a chance and it can be their grow out pen also. They will be seen the entire time but no one will be able to get to them. That should make it easier.

So the broody is separated from the flock all day except for her one break per day? If so why can't she have a break somewhere else?

To reintroduce the hen and maybe even the chicks, you may need a very basic pen that can be left in the run with your flock. Then feed and water the hen and chicks in that
pen for a couple of days. It is important that the flock and hen can see each other all day long. If that isn't possible all you can do is try slipping the hen into the coop at night.

Quote:
Ok, I can do that. i have a big dog cage to where you can see all around but they cant be touched. and I wont feed them 2 with the flock anymore. I have 2 dog cages one for each broody. The dog cages are in the coop so the hens can here the flock but cant see them. Over on of the cages I have a light hanging from the top, and on the outside i threw a bed sheet over the cage, the the flock doesnt bother her, and she has her privicy.

the other cage has a light hanging from the top, and a tarp over it so she can also listen to the flock but have her privicy. When they hatch an are 2-4 week ill take the tarp/ sheet off and let them tak etc.

As you are aware, the whole demeanor of a broody changes. The flock does not recognize her "as she was." One of many reasons broodies should be removed from access by the flock. If you reintroduce her and growing chicks to the flock in an enclosed environment, i.e., coop, all heck may break loose. Best chance for successful non eventfull reintegration is in a free ranging situation. It's just flock and pecking order dynamics.

Back
Top Bottom