uh oh... drake finally attacked dog!

arrowti

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2014
Maine
We've had for a few years our drake chase our dog around or give her the evil eye and make her sit... but today, he actually attacked her, which he has never done before... he came running out of nowhere and charged her, then starting biting her neck and chest (he's an 8 pound cayuga mix, and she's a 50 pound labradoodle, by the way)... she was whimpering and was trying to run away with her butt tucked down under her but he was quite persistent.

All puffed up and angry, too.

I caught him and picked him up and he immediately calmed down and left her alone after...

It seems we must separate ducks and dog!

Our dog is a massive wimp and now she refuses to go outside if he's in sight, regardless of whether he's on the other side of the fence or not!

Thank goodness he's peaceful and friendly with people, because he was stretching right up to bite her right on her nose.

I'm telling you, birds seem to have no awareness of size differences. And neither, apparently, does the dog.

Just thought I'd share. Duck antics!

We've had for a few years our drake chase our dog around or give her the evil eye and make her sit... but today, he actually attacked her, which he has never done before... he came running out of nowhere and charged her, then starting biting her neck and chest (he's an 8 pound cayuga mix, and she's a 50 pound labradoodle, by the way)... she was whimpering and was trying to run away with her butt tucked down under her but he was quite persistent.

All puffed up and angry, too.

I caught him and picked him up and he immediately calmed down and left her alone after...

It seems we must separate ducks and dog!

Our dog is a massive wimp and now she refuses to go outside if he's in sight, regardless of whether he's on the other side of the fence or not!

Thank goodness he's peaceful and friendly with people, because he was stretching right up to bite her right on her nose.

I'm telling you, birds seem to have no awareness of size differences. And neither, apparently, does the dog.

Just thought I'd share. Duck antics!
I'd advise keeping them apart. My once wimpy dog had enough of my gander biting her tail every time she walked by him and turned on him one day, thankfully we were there but she grabbed him by the neck. We don't let our dogs[5] around our flock unless we are with them, So far in the 12 yrs I have had ducks none have messed with the dogs only the geese and they never learn.

Drakes will attack almost anything. They're pretty bold. They think they're the muscleman pretty much no matter what they're up against, and mine's a real bruiser. Crocodiles, humans, dogs, foxes...

Opie thinks he's tough but he's never met something that's fought back, short of an aggressive chicken.

We're in the process of getting a new fence for the birds, once we find a suitable gate, which will make it easier to keep the ducks and the dog separated.

The drama continues! Came home from work to the ducks on the front lawn, and the dog barking from inside the house at the kitchen window. He sees her in the window and runs up to it, puffing up his tail and quacking. She stops barking when she sees him and gets down. He then struts away to join his females.

Poor dog isn't even save in the house.
lol.png

Wow! One of my ducks (not a drake!) tried to scare the dog away but chickened out when he didn't start moving. I don't know why they think he's afraid of them!

That's interesting that he actually bit her! I've never had a drake, but I didn't think they could be that mean!

I couldn't help but giggle when i read this, your poor dog!! I have 2 Staffordshire bull terriers & I haven't the heart to let them out whilst the runners are free, I have to herd the runners in whilst I let the dogs out to pee. One of my *****'s slams her paws against the floor at the ducks pen, she doesn't growl, bark, nothing. I think she would love to have a bite if she had the chance. Although, my runners come right up to my French doors & wind her up, it sends her crazy!

Back
Top Bottom