Uh oh.... Is this a fertilized egg?

allgoaton

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 14, 2014
Purportedly all ducks were supposed to be girls. They all did the peep peep QUACK as babies. Fast forward to six months old. Three ducks quack their heads off. Fourth duck chatters but no quack. No drake feather... No drake voice... No drake hormonal sexual behaviors... But no quack. Three eggs a day as a pattern... But one duck we've seen laying smooshy no good eggs only and it could be that she isn't laying eggs yet. But no day with four eggs yet. This is the first time I've broken open an egg that I wondered if it was fertilized. I have untrained eyes. Any ideas? I know 3 ducks to 1 drake is an okay ratio, but it still worries me to have a drake when I didn't want one. At six months should drake behaviors be apparent? The questionable duck is a blue Swedish.

and yes, I would think by 6 months you would be seeing drake behaviors. Mine were trying at 4 months---but it took a good month for my boy to figure out what he was really trying to do.

Do you know? It looks fertilized to me but I just really don't want my totally not a drake looking duck to be a drake...

The Swedish is probably our nicest duck... If it is a drake, it is a very polite drake. This duck basically leaves all the other ducks alone. The naughty duck is a totally female, loud quacking runner.

Back
Top Bottom