Uh..OH! Ordered all pullets, but do we have roosters?

chickylou

Songster
10 Years
Jan 29, 2009
Valparaiso
We have chickens that are 6 weeks old or so. Two of the black austrolopes have very prominent crests (the crown on the head) and waddles, where as the other pullets have small crests and waddles. They also seem to be larger and we just thought maybe they were slightly older or something when shipped.

Should I post a picture? Or does anyone have experience to recognize roosters?

Thanks in Advance!
big_smile.png

Pictures would help. The crest is called a Comb.

A hatchery will usually guarantee only 90% on the sexing. So, its not unusual to get a couple roos in an order of 25 birds.

Quote:
If you got them from a hatchery, the odds are good they are males. Sexing of type breed chicks is still an inexact art and mistakes are often made. From your description, and since even in your inexperienced eyes there is cause to wonder..... well, better get a back up plan together.

roll.png
Oh Wow! I think I get it. I found this youtube

I learned a lot.

I'm afraid we have two roos. Hm...now what do we do? We can't keep loud animals in our subdivision.

Any advice?

Post them on Craigslist...someone will probably pick them up. I ordered standard Cochins from the hatchery...4 females and a male.....I got all girls.
lol.png

Here are pictures and based on what we just learned. The only thing I don't get are the stubby tail feathers. I'd think the roos would have the more prominent ones.

AUSTROLOPE HEN
22043_hen.jpg

AUSTROLOPE ROO (We are pretty sure)
22043_rooster.jpg

Well, I hope this helps others.

I'll take the advice and see if others want them maybe for 4-H. If not, dinner?
tongue.png

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom