Uh oh...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by boxermom, Aug 26, 2010.

1. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    Just went outside and found my 3 1/2 mo flemish giant buck outside of his playpen. He was safe and sound, but he was next to my approx 4 mo flemish giant doe. She was tethered in her harness. I didn't want to have kits, in fact was getting ready to take the doe in to get spayed. Are they old enough? I haven't seen any signs of "maturity", but have never owned rabbits before. Yes, I'm clueless. [​IMG]

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

She is old enough for most breeds, not sure about flemmish-

You could do an e-spay (maybe) so there will not be any kits.

"Sexual Maturity of a rabbit 16 - 24 weeks."

3. Horsefly

Horsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    Flemish Giants should be 9 months old before you breed them. Large rabbits mature slower than small rabbits so they may not have been old enough to breed yet. I keep rabbits but have never bred them so I don't know much about that. I want to get a Flemish Giant though so that is why I know the 9 month thing.

4. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    I've only been finding when they SHOULD be bred, not when it's possible to be bred. Horsefly, I may have some kits available in a few weeks. [​IMG] Hope not... [​IMG]

5. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    It's not too early to spay, and since you caught this potential "accident" so soon, the vet can still spay in most cases.

6. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    i used to raise flemish and yes, 9mths old to maturity so u should definately be safe. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by