Uh, trying to be grateful over here

Nov 7, 2021
Lyric's World
We paid for some real cool instructions. He agreed, said he could make what I wanted. Concession no. 1 (on MY part); "I want to make the coop so that when we move I can take it down and put it back together."

We have yet to move to Hip Hillbilly Acres. He has been building a living dwelling for us out there for months (another long story for another time). Suffice to say I dont wanna move - like it right here even though we are renting and the 4 acres where the homestead should be is his.

Digressing . . . Though we have perfectly excellent Coop instructions with materials list, for all intent and purposes, that has been thrown out of the window for this look-alike one.

I'm working to incorporate Bible principles in my life so I don't want to complain to him or seem ungrateful as I do understand his thoughts behind it. Just now when I went out to get these pictures he informs me now I need more chicken cloth which on the one hand is not a big deal; but, I am the type of person that likes to write things out, have a budget to know the direction I'm going, which is why I researched coop plans. Not to mention that now means I have to get more money which will be between Friday and another month . . . next month and my chicks are already 5 weeks old.

I'm going to stop talking about it because really it is pissing me off. Had he simply said "No, I cannot do it I would have gone another route and would have been fine with that. Or simply waited until 2023 to get into chickens.

Attachments

• 20220808_120358.jpg
    20220808_120358.jpg
    551.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220808_120354.jpg
    20220808_120354.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 1
Forgive me for a minute if I sound like a know-it-all, and this may sound weird ... it's just, the issue you described is one I grew up struggling with. How to honor God and not lose myself in the process.
Well, a few years ago a lady Reverend who I trust, without us talking about anything like this, just took my hands, looked me in the eye, and told me He wanted me to know there was such a thing as taking it too far. That He wanted me to take care of myself.

A little later on I was opening my Moms tea box and there was one of the customary little ornaments in there. It felt very profound somehow. So, I took it to ponder on. It was a ships yoke / steering wheel thingy. It slowly started to make sense that God was telling me He wanted me to have control. Stop giving away decisions about my life. Find my personal agency.
These moments were part of a gradual revelation after which I became certain of the following:
God created our capacity for emotions. They are not an accident. He's really smart and knew what He was doing. Negative emotions help you understand when something is wrong and needs fixing. They aren't for choking back and beating yourself up over. You were never meant to disappear or just shut up. It's a crying shame that people spread any kind of message like that to one another.

So how do we act on emotion in a way that's Biblically sound? I believe the key is in seeking balance. Holding something back leaves you unbalanced, possibly leading to harmful outbursts. So having some heart to heart, honest conversation is the only cure. You can do it very lovingly, explain what you value about their efforts.

The "sandwich method" of conversation calls for surrounding the "meat" (difficult part) with two slices of "bread" (the soft stuff).
"Honey, I love how you put so much energy into this. I really like xyz about you, and how you care for me... This result is just far away from what I had in mind, and I know it may seem late in the game but I feel I won't be satisfied until we change it, I need it to be yyy... One thing this attempt has shown me is how good you are at yzx, I knew you were *** but never so much..."
Add more bread or meat as needed. You may have mayonnaise or cheese you are already skilled with in your relationship.

Based on your post, it sounds like you need this on multiple fronts. One about the Coop, and one about your house.
It's okay to not get things right the first time. But it's not a good strategy to pretend something's okay when it's not.

Forgive me for a minute if I sound like a know-it-all, and this may sound weird ... it's just, the issue you described is one I grew up struggling with. How to honor God and not lose myself in the process.
Well, a few years ago a lady Reverend who I trust, without us talking about anything like this, just took my hands, looked me in the eye, and told me He wanted me to know there was such a thing as taking it too far. That He wanted me to take care of myself.

A little later on I was opening my Moms tea box and there was one of the customary little ornaments in there. It felt very profound somehow. So, I took it to ponder on. It was a ships yoke / steering wheel thingy. It slowly started to make sense that God was telling me He wanted me to have control. Stop giving away decisions about my life. Find my personal agency.
These moments were part of a gradual revelation after which I became certain of the following:
God created our capacity for emotions. They are not an accident. He's really smart and knew what He was doing. Negative emotions help you understand when something is wrong and needs fixing. They aren't for choking back and beating yourself up over. You were never meant to disappear or just shut up. It's a crying shame that people spread any kind of message like that to one another.

So how do we act on emotion in a way that's Biblically sound? I believe the key is in seeking balance. Holding something back leaves you unbalanced, possibly leading to harmful outbursts. So having some heart to heart, honest conversation is the only cure. You can do it very lovingly, explain what you value about their efforts.

The "sandwich method" of conversation calls for surrounding the "meat" (difficult part) with two slices of "bread" (the soft stuff).
"Honey, I love how you put so much energy into this. I really like xyz about you, and how you care for me... This result is just far away from what I had in mind, and I know it may seem late in the game but I feel I won't be satisfied until we change it, I need it to be yyy... One thing this attempt has shown me is how good you are at yzx, I knew you were *** but never so much..."
Add more bread or meat as needed. You may have mayonnaise or cheese you are already skilled with in your relationship.

Based on your post, it sounds like you need this on multiple fronts. One about the Coop, and one about your house.
It's okay to not get things right the first time. But it's not a good strategy to pretend something's okay when it's not.
I didn't click on this thread expecting to find a gold nugget of wisdom, but here we are. Excellent post.

OP, best of luck, and I hope you don't end up getting chickens under needlessly stressful circumstances. Whatever route you go, best of luck and prayers to you.

I didn't click on this thread expecting to find a gold nugget of wisdom, but here we are. Excellent post.

OP, best of luck, and I hope you don't end up getting chickens under needlessly stressful circumstances. Whatever route you go, best of luck and prayers to you.
Thank you. Chicks are here now though. 8 are 5 weeks and 27 are less than a week old.

Thank you. Chicks are here now though. 8 are 5 weeks and 27 are less than a week old.

We did warn you that raising a ton of chicks at once would be difficult. 35 chicks for your first time out, at two different ages... It's only going to get worse as they grow and become more rambunctious.

What you do for now: Drag all the hardware cloth off that structure. Make something smaller and very secure to put them outside in.
Or, sell most of those chicks locally and only keep a few you really bonded with.

Back
Top Bottom