Uhm... you deleted the ability to delete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barg

Songster
12 Years
Apr 27, 2007
Whats next?

Added, occasionally...being me... I post something and then,after thinking about it, it occures to me that maybe that could be read in a totally different way then I mean it.

"First post" of a thread went first, now all posts are not deleteable, I suppose the next step would be the inability to edit your posts.

I am becoming concerned that my ability to control what I post here is no longer in my control;
Once its out there, there is no takeing it back.

I understand I can still edit my posts... at this time.

But what if I post something and dont realise until a bit later how it might be taken;
Deleteing it quickly is the easiest solution to that problem, editing requires you to figure out what you can put in it's place.

You may end up with a bunch of posts that say "bla, bla bla" just because someone wants to remove what they said, but can't delete it.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I'll keep my personal feelings on this subject to myself so that I won't be edited
he.gif
but here's a thread talking about the same thing:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18731

Meghan

As with any online communication, you may want to think about what you wanna say before saying it.

Jody

Quote:
I agree with Jody.

Quote:
Use the "edit" button. You can always edit your posts to say "sorry wrong thread" or something. Or "I apologize" when you said something you didn't mean to. If you really really really need it removed completely, email a moderator and we will look at it, so we can keep the continuity of the thread intact. Though it would be a lot easier if, like Jody says, think before typing.

I belong to some message boards where you can't edit your posts. I tell you, it really makes you think before you type (which we should be doing anyway) and reading carefully before replying. If you start to type in anger, then for heaven sake, step away from the computer and cool down.

When I write something in anger, I usually mean what I say and don't really have a desire to take it back.

It is when I write something thats intended to be funny or happy or compasionate and I realise, It may not come out as intended.

My words, after Ive walked away and then come back and re-read them, don't always sound the way the did when I typed it.

Last night I posted something intended to be funny.
It was late at night, so it is likely no one read it.
I sat down to watch tv and thought about how people might interpret that, and decided to delete it.

Wether or not people should Think About what they type, they should be in control of their own written words.
This board allowed that to happen and that is one reason I post here.
That ability is beeing slowly chiped away and you are taking more and more control over other peoples words.

Thats my Opinion.

Last edited:
On the other BYC, which has been around for years and where my membership was originally, and still is, there has never been any ability to delete posts at all. Usually, when you feel the need to delete the entire thing, you just put N/T (no topic) in the subject line, or Sorry, Mods, please delete and it gets done. It has never seemed particularly an issue there and I still do not see why EDIT is much different than DELETE when the edit can be a delete of the entire message. It may be changed in the future or it may not, but it would be (okay, I'll say it) silly and immature to run screaming for the hills over this one issue when this is a most valuable source of information, support and friendship. Just my opinion. That and $1 will buy you a cup of coffee.

Quote:
Well stated.
It seems to me to not be over one issue. It seems to be the principle of the matter, and all posts of this type are thematic. Some posts are deleted by mods, locked, not being able to delete your own words. Lots of people like their free will and the ability to say/unsay whatever they choose. Granted, we don't own the site. That being said, some people don't like that their only way to excersise their free will is to go with the flow or hit the highway.

Quote:
I could just as easily make the case that it was silly and immature to take away peoples ability to edit, via deletion; but that would be name calling, and I see no reason to start getting into personal attacks.

I will consider my position and take the appropriate actions.

Thank you, Have a nice day.

Added: I'm sure there were many who said that it was silly and immature to complain about a penny tea tax; that complaining over non representastion of such a trivila matter was rediculous.

And yet, if it were not for that immature attitude, The U.S. would still be a brittish colony.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom