UK Member Please Say HI

Is she still doing ok @Rudies Roost ?

She's doing great thanks...what on earth happened, I've no idea but she's great now. Just dropped a load of Ivermectin on her as she had the dreaded lice but how that affected her lungs I have no clue. Eating and drinking like a monster again so all is well. Thanks for asking xx

Phew.....tough night i had! The Orp is fine this morning, a little quiet but rushed out to join the flock this a.m like nothing had happened (the swine!). The slight tipping up helped to clear whatever was in her lungs and by midnight last night she had eased grately so i left her in the utility overnight with a fleece and hey presto.....fine now. Thanks @Yorkshirecoop for all rhe advice xx

She's doing great thanks...what on earth happened, I've no idea but she's great now. Just dropped a load of Ivermectin on her as she had the dreaded lice but how that affected her lungs I have no clue. Eating and drinking like a monster again so all is well. Thanks for asking xx
glad all is ok now and she is on the mend

Afternoon all!

So an update. We went away for the weekend to visit my grandparents. When we got back one of our hens had abandoned the eggs we had under her (she was just sitting in another nest box). The 4 eggs were cold so we stuck her back on them and the wife in a 'panic' went and got some more that were due at approximately the same time.

So I left the 4 origional ones for a while and candles them before I went to bed. The two rir eggs Icould see moving in the shells. The buff orphington I couldn't see moving and the other egg is too dark to make out any movement but I assume if 2 of them are ok then the others should be fine too.

So now we have the original 4 plus 4 mystery eggs which are all due to hatch next weekend.

We are still planning to eat all the resultant chickens but the 4 new eggs are smaller then the others so slightly unsure if they will be banthams or not.

Can't wait for next weekend, it's going to be a struggle to just leave the hens to it and not go and have a look every 20 mins.

How's she doing? Ok still?

Afternoon all!

So an update. We went away for the weekend to visit my grandparents. When we got back one of our hens had abandoned the eggs we had under her (she was just sitting in another nest box). The 4 eggs were cold so we stuck her back on them and the wife in a 'panic' went and got some more that were due at approximately the same time.

So I left the 4 origional ones for a while and candles them before I went to bed. The two rir eggs Icould see moving in the shells. The buff orphington I couldn't see moving and the other egg is too dark to make out any movement but I assume if 2 of them are ok then the others should be fine too.

So now we have the original 4 plus 4 mystery eggs which are all due to hatch next weekend.

We are still planning to eat all the resultant chickens but the 4 new eggs are smaller then the others so slightly unsure if they will be banthams or not.

Can't wait for next weekend, it's going to be a struggle to just leave the hens to it and not go and have a look every 20 mins.

How's it going? Getting closer :pop

I was terrible with the urge to meddle last year with a broody!! Don't know why either as I'm very strict on incubator hatching a don't touch. I'm guessing it was the fact that I could not look for pips under a hen like I can in the incubator!!

Hope everyone is having a fab Friday and all is well for you all :D

How's she doing? Ok still?
How's it going? Getting closer :pop

I was terrible with the urge to meddle last year with a broody!! Don't know why either as I'm very strict on incubator hatching a don't touch. I'm guessing it was the fact that I could not look for pips under a hen like I can in the incubator!!

Hope everyone is having a fab Friday and all is well for you all :D

Hi @Yorkshirecoop My lovely Orp is doing beautifully thank you. I still have no idea what that blip was last Friday but she's back to full strength now. I have 3 broodies (a Sussex, an Indian Game Bird and my old faithful Partridge Wyandotte) brooding over about 15 or so eggs (a right old mixture of eggs i must say!) between them so we'll see if anything occurs there. I leave them to it and last year was fairly successful so i don't like to intervene other than kicking them outside once a day (not literally!) to eat and go to the toilet. Rain has just arrived here but the ground does need it. Football is shortly to take over in my house, dont mind it at all but I'll be glad of the distraction of the birds soon! Happy weekend all xx

So of the 4 "new" eggs, one hatchet last night, one hatched mid morning today. No movement from the other two. But the two so far look different types etc so likely that those four aren't due at the same time.

The original four are still there. Day 21 is tomorrow so hopefully we get something from them over the next two days. Then hopefully a couple of meat birds and if some are odd/desireable breeds we may rehome them instead.

Very difficult not to keep looking but the hen was fairly happy to let me handle the oldest chick today. I'll keep you all posted!

Back
Top Bottom