UK Member Please Say HI

S and T Poultry in Wisbech near Peterborough. They deliver nationally but you will need to order ahead. I had some from them several years ago, - White Rangers and Poulet Gauloise, which aren't anything to do with Bressés but are really good eating. They also lay huge eggs. We didn't eat them all so some were used to produce other chicks. You need to make sure you only breed ones with decent feet though. I don't know if you know about Sasso's and such, but the parent birds are full size cocks and dwarf hens (to cut down on food) that produce full sized offspring. Obviously the next generation is full size and can be bred with any breed you want. Hope that helps

Hi , and thanks for the info , yes after my post I stumbled across S&T poultry , he seemed quite helpful except the day he was delivering close to me I couldn't make it to meet him.
I phoned more for a future buy rather than then.

No I know very little about commercial meat birds tbh, Interesting that they use dwarf hens , I never realised that.

If I'm totally honest I'm not 100% fixed on a type , just want a small flock that I can keep going taking what I need to eat , rather than culling super fast growers all at once.
Taste and a reasonable size would be great.
S and T Poultry in Wisbech near Peterborough. They deliver nationally but you will need to order ahead. I had some from them several years ago, - White Rangers and Poulet Gauloise, which aren't anything to do with Bressés but are really good eating. They also lay huge eggs. We didn't eat them all so some were used to produce other chicks. You need to make sure you only breed ones with decent feet though. I don't know if you know about Sasso's and such, but the parent birds are full size cocks and dwarf hens (to cut down on food) that produce full sized offspring. Obviously the next generation is full size and can be bred with any breed you want. Hope that helps

Hi , and thanks for the info , yes after my post I stumbled across S&T poultry , he seemed quite helpful except the day he was delivering close to me I couldn't make it to meet him.
I phoned more for a future buy rather than then.

No I know very little about commercial meat birds tbh, Interesting that they use dwarf hens , I never realised that.

If I'm totally honest I'm not 100% fixed on a type , just want a small flock that I can keep going taking what I need to eat , rather than culling super fast growers all at once.
Taste and a reasonable size would be great.
Try to get hold of some Ixworths, - either hatching eggs or a breeding group. They are excellent eating and lay well. As with most native heritage breeds, they are generally pretty robust health wise. The only problem with them, if you can call it a problem, is leg colour. A pure Ixworth should have pinkish white legs both as an adult and chick, but there are a lot that have yellow legs as chicks. These turn the pinkish white as they grow, but indicate that something has been added to the breed, possibly something like a broiler. Over the years I've found that these ones never have the same quality as the true Ixys. Having said that, if these are all you can get, do it. They are still cracking birds and the quality difference could simply be my own imagination or opinion or me being OCD about breed purity.

Just popping in here to say Hi from East Sussex! I have ex commercial hens and have recently got Silver Appleyard ducks 😊 the heavy type not the miniature type. It’s unusual for me to get an animal that isn’t a rescue so these are my ‘precious’ pets! I might breed them one day once I’ve decided why to do with excess drakes.
Silver Appleyards! The Holy Grail of table ducks(along with Aylesburys!) I understand they are really good layers too. We want some of these eventually. There's a lovely spring fed pond on the farm that would be ideal, - even we eventually put trout in it! Please DO breed them, they are getting pretty rare as most nowadays seem to be crossed with Pekings to "improve" the breed . Old Reg was a bit of a genius to me!

Hi

Im not trying to seperate this forum up but i thought it would be nice to know who and how many UK based members there are here

The main reason is then as the members in USA conduct Egg Swaps and Counrty and County based Sales and Advice then we can see who would be best to ask for local advise

So Any UK member just say Hi and state which Town/County your in

I will Start

I'm in UK, West London [Berkshire]
Hi, I'm from Northern Italy in a little valley in the middle of the wilderness. Welcome to BYC!!! :welcome

Hello from Gloucestershire :) We have guineafowl on purpose and now accidentally also have a couple of 4 week old chickens - i bought them to keep my lonely single keet company from my first ever hatching, but the keet died and the chicks thrived 😂

i fear i might be in the same situation a month later...might need a bigger hen house.

Back
Top Bottom