UK Member Please Say HI

Hi

Im not trying to seperate this forum up but i thought it would be nice to know who and how many UK based members there are here

The main reason is then as the members in USA conduct Egg Swaps and Counrty and County based Sales and Advice then we can see who would be best to ask for local advise

So Any UK member just say Hi and state which Town/County your in

I will Start

I'm in UK, West London [Berkshire]
Hello everyone

We are new to keeping chickens so any advice would be gratefully received!

We are on the edge of the Forest of Dean, dodging a very wet, rainy July like the rest of us, whilst the rest of the world seems to swelter in heat waves.

I am currently building the coop - yes, yet another Carolina coop inspired design with a few mods in construction... main structure up, roof metal just arrived today, nest box built in workshop, door to build and lots of painting to do!
see attached :)

Plan is to get 6 Black Tails Hybrid hens from a very good local supplier Newland Poultry near Malvern, as soon as the coop is complete and they are available - short supplies at the moment as you are all probably aware - Avian Flu!

We have foxes who regularly visit the garden so predator proofing is a top objective - super strong black pvc coated galvanised mesh, and a wide buried galvanised pvc coated mesh for an skirt around the whole coop. Pic of fox attached as well ...

Anyway, I look forward to undoubtedly asking lots of questions and getting some expert advice as we start on our Chicken Keeping escapades.

Best regards to all Gareth

Attachments

• DSCF0017.JPG
    DSCF0017.JPG
    335 KB · Views: 3
  • 71199299023__147B8F4A-2257-4857-9DF3-1E359D870E8B.jpg
    71199299023__147B8F4A-2257-4857-9DF3-1E359D870E8B.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 5
I'm also in the Forest @ROSEWOODCHICKS :frow

At this point looks like we're sticking at 2 chooks, a second keet hatched so now i have 2 tiny fluffy distractions and don't need to rush out to buy any more day old friends this time. One normal pearl and one looks like lavender which was a nice surprise from our pearl ladies and gents :)

Hoping we get some summer weather back now so my 5 week olds can go in the garden!

I'm also in the Forest @ROSEWOODCHICKS :frow

At this point looks like we're sticking at 2 chooks, a second keet hatched so now i have 2 tiny fluffy distractions and don't need to rush out to buy any more day old friends this time. One normal pearl and one looks like lavender which was a nice surprise from our pearl ladies and gents :)

Hoping we get some summer weather back now so my 5 week olds can go in the garden!
Hello Neighbour! :frow Yes, if this rain would stop I can get the coop and run built and the chickens can have a home!

Good news for some:
"From 23 August 2023 gatherings of galliforme poultry and galliforme birds including gatherings of chickens, turkeys, pheasants, partridge, quail and guinea fowl are permitted. You need to follow the requirements of the poultry gathering general licence and notify the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) at least 7 days before the event.

Gatherings of anseriforme poultry and anseriforme birds including ducks, geese and swans are not permitted.

These changes only apply to gatherings of galliforme poultry and galliforme birds held in England. Galliforme birds from premises located in Wales and Scotland are not permitted to attend galliforme gatherings in England."
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/bird-flu-avian-influenza-latest-situation-in-england

Hi

Im not trying to seperate this forum up but i thought it would be nice to know who and how many UK based members there are here

The main reason is then as the members in USA conduct Egg Swaps and Counrty and County based Sales and Advice then we can see who would be best to ask for local advise

So Any UK member just say Hi and state which Town/County your in

I will Start

I'm in UK, West London [Berkshire]
Hi, I live on the fabulous Ashdown Forest of Winnie the Pooh A.A.Milne books original setting…

Back
Top Bottom