UK, where can I get duck harnesses in the uk? Please help.

Ok so I took a couple of pics that will hopefully show how I made the harnesses.

The first is the nappy bit:

So I just hemmed that all around, & attached the elastic along the dotted line - I had to put 7 or small ruches in to get it to fit. At the top I've attached 2 rings that I got from an old bra. On the flaps I've attached either end of a snap buckle I got off a small pet harness, they sell them on amazon though.

The next bit is the harness:

The paper cut out shows the top (each edge is about 1 inch long) and just the start of the straps - I cut the material all the way to the bottom to create straps about 15inches long. I hemmed along the tops, then along the straps so they're about 1cm wide. Then I cut out an identical piece and stitched them together back to back.

One end of a snap buckle is attached to the top then I've crossed the straps and put in a plastic bit to secure it but also leave it adjustable. Then I've threaded each strap through a strap adjuster (from the small pet harness again) then through the loopsite on the nappy bit and back through the strap adjuster.

The last bit is just a long strap, it attaches to the end of one of the flaps on the nappy bit, so it sits behind the snap buckle. The other end is threaded through another strap adjuster, through the other end of the second snap buckle and then back through the snap adjuster:

So then the last strap attaches to the top of the harness, which loops over the duckling's head, and the buckle on the nappy bit fastens over the tail. Half an asda mini bladder weakness pad fits nicely in the nappy pouch. & that's it :)

Last edited:
Hope that all makes sense! Let me know if you have any questions. Also they're made for our ducklings so measurements will gave to be up scaled for larger ducks. I've just used cotton for now but I'll be experimenting with softer/stretchier materials as they grow as well as making them more durable. I hope this helps to get you started though :)

Ok so I took a couple of pics that will hopefully show how I made the harnesses.

The first is the nappy bit:

So I just hemmed that all around, & attached the elastic along the dotted line - I had to put 7 or small ruches in to get it to fit. At the top I've attached 2 rings that I got from an old bra. On the flaps I've attached either end of a snap buckle I got off a small pet harness, they sell them on amazon though.

The next bit is the harness:

The paper cut out shows the top (each edge is about 1 inch long) and just the start of the straps - I cut the material all the way to the bottom to create straps about 15inches long. I hemmed along the tops, then along the straps so they're about 1cm wide. Then I cut out an identical piece and stitched them together back to back.

One end of a snap buckle is attached to the top then I've crossed the straps and put in a plastic bit to secure it but also leave it adjustable. Then I've threaded each strap through a strap adjuster (from the small pet harness again) then through the loopsite on the nappy bit and back through the strap adjuster.

The last bit is just a long strap, it attaches to the end of one of the flaps on the nappy bit, so it sits behind the snap buckle. The other end is threaded through another strap adjuster, through the other end of the second snap buckle and then back through the snap adjuster:

So then the last strap attaches to the top of the harness, which loops over the duckling's head, and the buckle on the nappy bit fastens over the tail. Half an asda mini bladder weakness pad fits nicely in the nappy pouch. & that's it :)

Omg I squeezed with excitement when I saw you had replied. Is there anyway you could do some video demos of you making them and email them to me! I am so excited to make one. So my babies can finally come out their pen more often and actually on adventures out the house too!!! Once I have the basic style mastered the costumes are going to be out of this world.

Also as a thank you I will make your babies the cutest ones and mail u a present box

Last edited:
Ah thanks I'm happy to help :) I'll have a go at a video demo tomorrow night. I only started using my daughter's sewing machine a few days ago & I doubt my video skills will be up to much either... I'll give it a go though! If it helps & you're happy with it I won't turn down a pressie lol. I'm sure your sewing skills will be better than mine! Though I'm really just happy to help x

This time last year I had no idea if no longer be dressmaking but planning on making nappies and clothing for ducks full time haha

Ur a star. Thank u xx

Thanks :) I hope it's okay, this time last week I couldn't use a sewing machine or make videos so it's been a steep learning curve lol!

Back
Top Bottom