ulcer on waddle - is my chicken sick?

Tikichicken

Chirping
12 Years
Jun 21, 2011
San Diego
Today I noticed a lump on one of my girl's waddles. That waddle is also sagging lower than the other one. The feathers directly under the area look rough as well. I would say similar to moulting. Is she sick? She's acting normal and I'm thinking I should just wait and see, but don't want my other girl to get sick too(I only have 2 in my flock). Recent changes are sand in the run and lots of left over salad in the diet - (lettuce, corn, cucumber, croutons etc). Main diet is layer pellets and they free range in the yard every day for about 3 hours. They are 7 months old and each give me about 6 eggs a week. The color and consistancy of the egg shell has slightly changed since the salad. She is a blue cochin. Am I just a nervous nelly?
Thanks for the help!
97029_chickens_142.jpg

97029_chickens_143.jpg

97029_chickens_144.jpg

Quote:
If the immune system is strong then "It'll go away in a week or so and they will be immune for llife" this could happen.
But if your chicken is weak and the virus takes over its body i think it could turn into wet pox (which is deadly).
There is medicine/vaccine for avian pox, so you might want to check it out.

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't know I had to worry about mosqutios too! Humm, 1/2" hardware cloth AND screens on the coop??? I'm assuming once they have it the vaccine would be too late. They're pretty healthy, so I'm guessing they'll be ok. I'll just keep a close eye on them. Will it affect the eggs? Are they ok to eat?

Ok here's the update... ...she did get more pox on her waddle and comb and after about a week the Sussex was showing signs too. The Sussex still has visable pox on her comb and waddle, but is acting normal. The Blue Cochin no longer has any pox showing, but now has new symptoms. I don't know if it's related, but now she is sneezing/coughing and her breathing sounds raspy. I took a close look and her nose and mouth and both are clear, no discharge. We did just go thru a major temperature swing - last week was 104 and this week is in the 60's. Other than that, both birds are eating, laying and acting normal.

Back
Top Bottom