Ultra high temp spike

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mr.majestik, Feb 11, 2009.

1. mr.majestik

mr.majestik Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    GA
    118 degrees for 5 hours. I can't believe this just happened!!!!!! For 21 days I have been nursing this bobwhite quail clutch in my LG forced air. 12 healthy eggs growing nicely and BAM! Day 20 I move them to my new Hovabator at 99.8 and leave for work. Come home and it's 118+. Not sure for how long either but I guess 5+ hours. Any chance folks?

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    There is no way of knowing how long they were at that temp. Maybe it's not as bad as you think. I would give them a chance. You might get lucky. After all, you have nothing to lose.

3. mr.majestik

mr.majestik Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    GA
    Thanks I'll give them a chance. Pretty frustrating though.

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Yeah, last year I woke up to temp spike of 108 in the bator. 14 out of 15 hatched. You just never know. Maybe the spike was short lived and didn't do lot of damage.

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Did anything ever hatch?

6. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Ya, I want to know to? [​IMG]

7. ChickenPalace

ChickenPalace Out Of The Brooder

Does anyone know what can cause such a heat spike? At 9PM last night, my HOVA-BATOR was at 100 degrees. This morning at 6 AM it was at 124 degrees [​IMG] - and yes I lost all my eggs. Luckily this was my first "test" hatch and I started with 5 eggs, lost one the first week, but the other 4 were very happy and moving.

I was at day 15 and had some other spikes, but only to about 103. Is my incubator defective. The temperature in the house was pretty constant, no drafts, no sunlight on it...I am really frustrated and not sure if I can trust it or not.

When I found it like that, I could not get the thermostat to turn off. I unplugged in and now that I am testing it - it is working fine.

Help.....[​IMG]

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Pressure switches stick an wafers fail. If it sticks on its the pressure switch. If it just starts going up an down is probably the wafer.

9. ChickenPalace

ChickenPalace Out Of The Brooder

I left for a couple hours and when I came back home it was above 124 again. So, I guess it must be your first assumption, the pressure switch stuck.

My frustration is that this incubator is brand new. This was my first time using it I guess it is lucky that I was only testing a few eggs and had not bought any yet.

10. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:would run it for a few days with no eggs. If you can't get it to stablize, return it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by