Ultra scientific approach to hatching eggs, A story of failure and triumph:

Feathers of Eden

Songster
Feb 8, 2021
Ontario,Canada
I was the Medical Doctor(GP) and Manager of a rural medical center in Western part of Iran in 1994. There in a pile of junk in our facility storage I found a laboratory machine that was capable of keeping any sample inside in temperature between 30 and 50 degree centigrade.

The heating system was an electrical Element dip inside a big water reservoir so the machine was heat trough the hot water and so the humidity was 98 to 99 percent all the times.

So I decided to use it as an incubator to hatch some eggs and enjoy the process of hatching eggs for the first time in my life.

I bought 10 Barnyard mix eggs put them in that humid incubator, filled the water reservoir and adjusted the temperature to 39 degree centigrade and turned it on.

It was before internet and all I knew was the chicken is warmer than human so I picked 39 degrees.

I never moved any of the eggs even once. Actually I did not even touch them.

Just 3 weeks later I opened the supposed incubator to see the result.

What could you expect from 10 eggs that has never been turned around and were left in 39 degrees 100 percent humidity?

take a guess.

When I opened it. there it was ...................... just one chick. Quite healthy and enthusiastic to see me.

I waited 2 more days , no other egg hatched. So I brock them and found most of them had some sort of fetal development but none past more than a week I guess.
Yet one chick made it. She was with me for a year. More like a Swedish flower chicken now that I know more about plumage.

Now that I know a thing or two about incubation and hatching egg via internet I wonder how one chick made it the way she made it.

Does that sound normal to you?

Back
Top Bottom