Um, why . . . ?

Wow! This is really interesting info.

So when you buy an "assortment" they don't send you a list or a chart or anything? You just have to guess?

Yes. When you buy an assortment you may not even know exactly what is in it, like a bantam assortment.

Also when someone has their own chicks hatch, they might know the possibilities of what it is, but not exactly. (Not a very good illustration.)
My feed store has the chicks labeled, but on the bantam bin they say something like "Bantam Assortment" and you don't even know what it could be. In our latest bantam pickup we ended up with 4 cochins, 3 Porcelain D'Uccles (we knew what they were, actually) and 1 Dutch. Or we think it's a Dutch.
wink.png

Feed stores mix up breeds all the time. Also, they sell as "assorited brown layer" or "ornamental". A lot of people don't know what breed they are buying or the sex of the chick.

Last edited:
Quote:
I picked up 13 chicks back in early April. posted pics of these chicks, got a variety of guesses... and 3 months later I'm STILL guessing (except a few ovbious, like the polish, japanese and sultan). I had hoped for cochins, think i got brahmas... oh well.

anyone in sw va want to do some swapping? 8)

Quote:
I picked up 13 chicks back in early April. posted pics of these chicks, got a variety of guesses... and 3 months later I'm STILL guessing (except a few ovbious, like the polish, japanese and sultan). I had hoped for cochins, think i got brahmas... oh well.

I'm not close enough to you, sorry.
wink.png

I reciently posted about breeds because I had gotten three chickens that didn't quite look like I was told they were. I think someone had stated this above. Turns out by the opinions of those on here, None of the 3 chickens were what I was told they were.

Quote:

I'm pretty close to you (a little over an hour from Roanoke), but I only have one year old cochin bantam, and she's just a big pet. What are you wanting to swap? Are you only looking for bantam cochins? Right now, I have some extra standard barred rock cockerels that I'm hoping to find homes for and possibly will have some extra gold brabanter pullets if I decide not to keep them all.

Wow, again.

Do they at least try to send breeds that make sense for your region, as plant nurseries do? Would they, for instance, send cold tolerant birds to Vermont, and heat tolerant birds to Arizona?

Back
Top Bottom