Umbilical wrapped around leg

Big_Charlie

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Fulton, KY
One of my chicks is not doing well at all and I'm hoping there's a way I can help. It looks like her umbilical cord stump is wrapped around her leg, hobbling that leg at the thigh. She also had a case of pasty butt that I've managed to clean up. But she just lays there, is very weak, and is smaller than the rest. She's just been going downhill all day. Is there anything I can do to save her, or should I just end the suffering for her?

Thanks,

Big Charlie

seperate the weak one- maybe give it electrolytes or sugar water .It sounds like the yolk may not have been all the way absorbed. weak iodine or neosporin on the navel to help with infection- but it could be too late. put it in a berry basket or other small container with acess to seperate food and drink and hope fir the best and prepare for the worst

So sad
sad.png
I wish I had some good advice to give you. Best wishes and hope the chick does better...

Last edited:
Soon after posting the original message about this, I went back to check on her and she was so weak she couldn't stand, drink, eat, and was barely breathing. I made sure she went fast and painless.

Big Charlie

Back
Top Bottom