Umm... So my dad found this baby Rat.......

If some of you may notice, the OP wasnt asking if they should keep the mouse... They were just asking for a basic diet.
Oh yeah, and GREAT PICTURES in the thread above mine!!
smile.png

Hi, I just thought I would just jump in and give my 2 cents worth, I have two male rats whose father was wild, I got them from a friend whose female rat escaped for 2 weeks and came home pregnant to a wild rat. I have had my two boys who are neutered for nearly 2 years and I have to say they are the most adorable rats I have ever dealt with, they don't bite, they enjoy cuddles, they beg to be interacted with they are better than the other two female pet shop rat that my husband has, the two girls bite and I wouldn't trust to put my hand anywhere near them, I can just about do anything with my two boys and they accept it. I wouldn't give them up for anything.

My husband found a baby wild rat whose eyes hadn't opened but he had fur a few days ago, he must have been about 10 days old, his eyes have now opened, he has seen the vet and the vet has told me that if he had any diseases he would have died from them as their immunity isn't all that great at that age but for zoonoses diseases to travel between rat and humans you have a cut and even then it isn't very likely for humans to catch their diseases if they have any. We feed this little guy evaporated milk which has the right amount of fat and protein in it for him, I had seen on websites that human baby soya formula was ideal to give to them but I showed the vet the can of this stuff and she said their wasn't enough fat in it and the little guy would starve The vet recommend feeding him on evaporated milk and I must say he is doing very well on it. This little creature shows no fear, runs to my hand when I put my hand in the cage, hes very adorable! I think it is worth a shot to tame him.

If I can figure out how to put his photo up on this I will post one. :)

Hi, I just thought I would just jump in and give my 2 cents worth, I have two male rats whose father was wild, I got them from a friend whose female rat escaped for 2 weeks and came home pregnant to a wild rat. I have had my two boys who are neutered for nearly 2 years and I have to say they are the most adorable rats I have ever dealt with, they don't bite, they enjoy cuddles, they beg to be interacted with they are better than the other two female pet shop rat that my husband has, the two girls bite and I wouldn't trust to put my hand anywhere near them, I can just about do anything with my two boys and they accept it. I wouldn't give them up for anything.

My husband found a baby wild rat whose eyes hadn't opened but he had fur a few days ago, he must have been about 10 days old, his eyes have now opened, he has seen the vet and the vet has told me that if he had any diseases he would have died from them as their immunity isn't all that great at that age but for zoonoses diseases to travel between rat and humans you have a cut and even then it isn't very likely for humans to catch their diseases if they have any. We feed this little guy evaporated milk which has the right amount of fat and protein in it for him, I had seen on websites that human baby soya formula was ideal to give to them but I showed the vet the can of this stuff and she said their wasn't enough fat in it and the little guy would starve The vet recommend feeding him on evaporated milk and I must say he is doing very well on it. This little creature shows no fear, runs to my hand when I put my hand in the cage, hes very adorable! I think it is worth a shot to tame him.

If I can figure out how to put his photo up on this I will post one. :)

This post is from 2009, so I'm not sure the original posters are still around!

Back
Top Bottom