Ummm, what are they doing?!

TheChickenNewb

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2015
I have two backyard chickens. They are healthy, have free range in the yard but are locked up at night. They lay incredibly well and are very social/friendly.

BUT about three months ago, they discovered our garage... or more specifically, the washer/dryer combo in the garage. They spend an inordinate amount of time in there and no amount of "shoo"ing can convince them to stay away.

We have two kitties that spend most of their time in the garage so at first I thought all the interest was just over them trying to poach cat food. But after watching them and the cat food supply, it turns out that they're just standing in front of the dryer, admiring themselves and quietly chattering to each other... for two hours!

They're driving my husband absolutely nuts with all the "proof" of their time spent in there, not to mention the fact that the cats aren't pleased either since the Brahma is twice the size of either of them.

If i block the open kitty door (how they get into the garage), they stand outside it and scream bloody murder until it's unblocked. It's so bizarre!

I'm considering getting them a mirror for out in the yard but don't want to upset either of them with a clear reflection that might make them think it's another actual chicken.

So what is up with my hens?! Ideas for how to afford them this entertainment without denying my husband the ability to walk in his own garage barefoot?

It sounds as if they are seeing their reflections in the washer/dryer and become upset when you separate them from their 'flock'. A mirror in the yard might just be what they need to keep them out of the garage.

Well this may be the best argument for getting a few more hens that I've ever heard!
1f602.png

You could get them a mirror. You could get a couple more chickens and see if that helps. You could figure out a way to block their view of the washer and dryer...put a piece of cardboard over the door or whatever...

...but personally if these were MY birds, I would be blocking the access to the garage. I would not want all that chicken poop in my garage
sickbyc.gif
and frankly, I don't allow myself to be pushed around by chickens. Whenever they "scream their heads off" to get what they want, that is my cue to do the opposite. I have no interest in teaching my chickens they can get what they want by making a fuss. I only have a few, and they are very spoiled, but I would be drawing the line at a garage full of chicken poop. They will stop fussing and find something else to do. Chickens are tremendous creatures of habit, and that is playing a part here. This is just what they do. Cut them off and/or try one of the other suggestions, and they will find something else to do.

Good luck!

I don't give in when they make a fuss. We generally keep it blocked up for a few weeks (which pisses the cats off) and you're right. They move on after a day or two. But two weeks later, when we open things back up so the cats can resume access, the chickens are right back to it. We had chickens throughout my childhood but never had any pick u a quirk like this. Just found it very bizarre.

Maybe try blocking their view of the washer/dryer if you think that is what it is? Or maybe you could make the entry smaller so the cats can go through but not the chickens? I'm not sure what kind of cats/chickens you have but my cats could definitely get through a door that was too small for my chickens. But i have average sized cats and average sized chickens. If you're running bantams and you have some massive maine coon cats, that might not work lol.

Could you make a cat tunnel to the door? The chickens might not be willing to go into a narrow dark tunnel.

Back
Top Bottom