UMMMM - Dumb question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Madcap621, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Say I got some fertile eggs at the grocery store and set them. If, at day 7 I candle and have 'clear' eggs, can I scramble them and feed to chickens, dogs, cats? OR must I 'flush' them? [​IMG]

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] Remember, the only dumb questions are the ones you do not ask. [​IMG]

In answer to this valid question, I have heard of folks doing what you described, eating the eggs they've set in an incubator that aren't developing. They could probably also be fed to other animals, the dogs & cats, even to the chickens.

Personally, I probably wouldn't eat them unless we were really really in need of them for food and had nothing else to eat. But I might scramble them in a blender, shells & all, and cook them up for the chickens.

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    can't see the harm... I throw all my undeveloped eggs out on the lawn for dogs..

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

There actually safe for you to eat as long as you cook them. My dogs get anything that does not hatch. Well almost, not the ones that smell. learned that one the hard way. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  5. chellebyerly

chellebyerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    I'd say
    'yep' everything here that doesnt hatch goes strait to the pigs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by