Unabsorbed yolk sack HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by violetsky, Mar 11, 2011.

1. violetsky

violetsky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Chicks hatched today all are fine except one who came out and is lively
    but has an unabsorbed yolk sack. Please advise. Should I snip it off?
    HELP!!!

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

No, do not snip it off. It should just dry up and fall off. Good luck!

3. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    I would keep him stationary if you can. Make a little area where he cant get around too much and the others wont tackle him.

4. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    No, do not snip it. It has nutrients to help strengthen the chick if I remember right. They need to absorb it. I had a chick this happened to in my last hatch and was told often they die. I made a moist chicken diaper out of a paper towel and kept it around it holding the yolk sac close to the chick. My chick survived.

HTH
    Carolyn

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    good advise by all just don't let the other chicks peck at it and of course they will if given the chance. congrats on the hatch [​IMG]

6. violetsky

violetsky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Thanks so much. I'm not sure how to make a chicken diaper but I will give that a try.
    I have a clear plastic post-it box that's about chick size and 2 inches high. Maybe he'll
    stay in that.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    cute avatar pic! and yes keep him away from the other chicks till the yolk is completely absorbed.. [​IMG]

8. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there a thread with pics of this? How long can it take?

9. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Quote:I think there is but can't remember for sure because it's been awhile since I was told to do this. If you do a search I bet you'll find it.

10. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    [​IMG]

This is my little one that had not absorbed the yolk. It was tricky because this one had veins going through it. It ended up leaking and it started bleeding and the chick was getting worn down so I clamped it, waited like 1/2 hour with it in my hands (still clamped) and when I let go it was fine. If it is real yellow and has no veins and also if it is doing fine otherwise leave it alone and it will absorb it. If it breaks or leaks you might have to interveine. Mine is doing fine now. Keep us updated.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by