Unbelievable ...miraculous ..still shakin' head.. LOL

Aneesa's Muse

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
SF Bay Area
A few months ago, I picked up a really pretty Crested Gecko juvenile female.. $25 is a great deal, so I couldn't pass her up ..even if she didn't really "fit" in breeding efforts here.

Shortly after Sunny got settled in ..she decided that her favorite past time in life was escaping through unpenetrable locked lids on various different vivarium that I had her in. I mean, this girly could get out of FOUR lid locks ..even weighted down lids with that many locks on it.. and she was quite agile about getting out the front door (through the screened door ..without holes, btw) and onto the porch ..and away she'd go!
roll.png

I think she was OUT of her cage more than she was in it ...for those first couple of months. And the last time she got out, I figured she was LONG gone this time ...as DH left the solid door standing open one night, on his way to work ..and I already knew she mastered escaping the screened one.

Well... some months passed and I had stopped even looking around during the night when I'd get up for something or other... until today..

We were outside this morning, doing some yard work ..and DH summons me over with a silent hand gesture ..all adamant for me to hurry ..but being really quiet. I grudgingly stopped what I was doing and went over to what he had discovered ..thinking it surely is a teeny tiny little bug or some worm (he's not as critter savvy as me.. LOL) ...and he says, "Isn't this one of your babies... ?"

I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked down and there was Sunny, aka. Houdini or Sun'dini, looking all sleepy faced back at me!!!!!!!!! OMG!! She didn't even look skinny or dehydrated ..and best of all... she still had her tail!!
big_smile.png

I got her inside ..took a couple pics to document her status on discovery... sat down to post the pics and stuff ..and I hear DH cry out, "She just dropped her tail, hon.. "

She's been outside for MONTHS ..fending for herself in my backyard ..never got scared enough to drop her tail ..and she drops it when she's rediscovered and safe inside. Stinker!
tongue.png

IM001931.jpg

In the temp tank..

IM001932.jpg

Trying already to figure out a way to escape this tank...

IM001933.jpg

Fresh "frogbutt" status..

IM001936.jpg

Still wiggley...

IM001935.jpg

..and just a shot of how "clean" they break off when they stress.

(Ignore my pitiful hands ..badly need a manicure ...and had just finished chopping Zoo salads and doing yardwork when all the excitement commenced)

Edit: she's in a temp tank in the pics here... so no, she is not kept in such bare accommodations ..and surely not in a tank with red reptile sand. It just happened to be empty and close when I came inside with her
hmm.png

Last edited:
That is insane! Im so glad you found her, she is gorgeous! Those tail shots are amazing, I've never seen anything like that before. Kinda nasty lookin, for sure, haha.

Thanks, everyone!
smile.png

I'm really glad that I found her safe and pretty much sound... but she is definitely suffering for being captured again.
sad.png

She dropped her tail earlier today because the confinement of a tank is stressing her excessively ..after being free to roam and do what she would be doing, had she been hatched in New Caledonia ..instead of captively bred and hatched, and confined to a tiny 30g vivarium (in comparison).

She has been flopping around and running, flashing and thrashing ...all day, pretty much. It's really sad, actually.

I just hope she will adjust soon and stop being so stressed.

oh boy.. I remember when I used to temp care for a friends crested... I had NIGHTMARES of him dropping his tail constantly!

When I first started reading this thread I thought, "Wow, I've never heard of the Gecko breed before... that's gotta be a funky looking chicken"....
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom