Uncle Sam Expects You To Keep Hens and Raise Chickens !!

Pics
I found the font for the title, but it costs $29 to download. Does anyone have the font "Clearmont"?
Normally, I'd buy it, but I'm out of work.
sad.png

Love that ad!! Great find!!

And I get a kick out of:

An interested child, old enough to take a little responsibility,
can care for a few fowls as well as a grown person.

As written, the interested child can have amongst its reponsibilities the care of an adult human as well as a few chickens. That's more like the sloppy grammar people use now than what I would have expected then, so perhaps an even more fitting ad today
wink.png

JJ​

Last edited:
Quote:
As written, the interested child can have amongst its reponsibilities the care of an adult human as well as a few chickens. That's more like the sloppy grammar people use now than what I would have expected then, so perhaps an even more fitting ad today
wink.png

JJ

Actually, that's an excellent use of a participial phrase.
wink.png
"Old enough to take a little responsibility" describes "child," which is the word directly before the first comma. The verb comes after the second comma.
smile.png
It's grammatically correct, although people today don't always write like that. ~~Love, your friendly BYC Moderator and real-life English teacher~~ (Couldn't help myself...I love this stuff. LOL!
smile.png
wink.png
)

Ha! Yes indeed, I can read it that way too! But admittedly, only after a few tries. It keeps coming through the other way first
tongue.png

Grammar is important. Somebody recently posted:

Let's eat Grandma!
Let's eat, Grandma!

Punctuation saves lives.

Cracked me up
big_smile.png

Anyway, sure would love to use this ad when my neanderthal neighbor puts in a complaint about my sweet little roo and hen...

JJ

Back
Top Bottom