Uncorrectable vent prolapse!

Red_Heyd

Hatching
Mar 13, 2018
A landlord/friend has a hen, I help put up and lightly take care of, that has a pretty bad vent prolapse. Me and another room mate both put her up when he can't. I noticed her prolapse after noticing her smelling really bad. On inspecting her, she had some bad discharge and her vent was out and inflamed. I have been charged with the task of "fixing" her, no one else will go near it. Did some research, so I have been cleaning, applying hemorrhoid creme, and manually reinserting her vent. However, after 3 days, I have to keep reinserting her vent. Is there any hope for correcting this?

My white cochin had this and I had to do it for quite a few days, then it came back after a few weeks:hmm but haven't seen it since. Just keep at it! I know it's along process but your doing it right! Best of luck to you! Oh and I used vetericyn instead of hemorrhoid creme but both work well:)

Can you post a picture of her vent cleaned up? Is there any black tissue on it? If so, that tissue can be dead. The prolaps should be kept moist with oil so that it doesn't dry out. Preparation H cream or honey are commonly used to help decrease swelling, so that the red tissue can be pushed back in. I would hold it in for a bit with a disposable glove, while holding the chicken. Daily warm soapy baths can help to soothe and clean off droppings. Any dead tissue should be scrubbed off until it bleeds slightly. Sometimes there can be a stuck egg in the vent causing the prolapse. Is she able to poop? I will check back in the morning for your answers.

Can you post a picture of her vent cleaned up? Is there any black tissue on it? If so, that tissue can be dead. The prolaps should be kept moist with oil so that it doesn't dry out. Preparation H cream or honey are commonly used to help decrease swelling, so that the red tissue can be pushed back in. I would hold it in for a bit with a disposable glove, while holding the chicken. Daily warm soapy baths can help to soothe and clean off droppings. Any dead tissue should be scrubbed off until it bleeds slightly. Sometimes there can be a stuck egg in the vent causing the prolapse. Is she able to poop? I will check back in the morning for your answers.
No black tissue, but will take a picture in the morning if it helps. She has laid an egg all the while, until today. I have been controlling her feed so there is no egg production, in line with what I read. Even with no egg production, she is still prolapsing. She is having bowel movements.

Kind of a last ditch effort, but you could apply a pressure bandage. Place gauze on her vent and wrap it tight. It would have to be removed often to allow the hen to pass droppings.

When treating a prolapsed vent, you may want to prevent her from laying eggs, since laying can keep pushing the prolapse out. To accomplish that, you can place her in a dark room or covered cage for 16 hours a day over night, and during the daytime, give her 8 hours per day of daylight, so that she may eat and drink. It can take several days to stop laying. We welcome pictures.

Back
Top Bottom