1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

uncovered run in the snow... what do you do?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by williamsl77, Nov 6, 2011.

1. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    Hi there,

So we just built an enormous coop that nearly killed us (though it was a lot of fun, haha). We made a very basic run that is uncovered at the moment. I don't think we will get to building the covered run until next summer for quite a few reasons. That being said, I'm curious what other folks do to keep the snow out. What's the most basic way to do this? Just shovel it out? That sounds like a drag.

Here's our coop: [​IMG]

Edited to add picture.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Hi! What I do here is just make sure they can get out their door and push the snow away from the coop.... then I lay down clean straw they do not like cold feet.... also the straw gives them something to scratch through when the ground is frozen. They eventually scratch and trample the snow down and the drifts that remain make nice elevated perches for my roos to watch their kingdoms. [​IMG]

BTW...Nice coop!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  3. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    We have very heavy tarps covering all of our runs, and remove the snow from the tarps if it collects there. We don't usually get a LOT of snow.

deb g

4. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    Oh, kelidei.... that sound managable! We're in NH, so lots of snow. As we learned last week, a tarp isn't going to do much.

Thanks for the compliment on the coop. It was quite a feat from scratch. Learned a lot and a friend helped us A LOT. Kinda want to build another one next spring just to use the new skills. Though maybe not. This one was a lot of work!

Thanks for the advice!

5. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    You can find a dog kennel on crags list , or add some sort of support to yours now and lay a tarp down. No way would I be shoveling a pen out. We get snow also and lots of it, I covered mine completely. Maybe I need to rethink it though, I need to at least uncover part of it so it's not dark lol.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah...after two years of shoveling clearings (and tossing down straw) in the big run, we finally roofed part of it this summer. The older you get, the less appealing thoughts of shoveling snow becomes...lol. [​IMG]

7. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    We have a small part covered right by the door and then the rest is open with a few small covered places. Basically I just have to shovel paths to where they need to go. They won't walk on the snow...at least mine won't!

8. Yetti

Yetti Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been thinking of using my 6' wood fence as kind of a center wall for a covered run? I have a couple huge old tarps that might do nicely for keeping some ground clear?
    any thoughts?

9. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Had an early snow a week or so ago. Hardly any snow got into the run. It all collected on the fencing and sort of made the run into a big igloo. The girls loved it! They were having a blast pecking the snow.

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Nothing:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by