Uncracked corn, is it safe to feed?

Corn is low protein, high calorie.
But whole corn will be digested just fine if they have gizzard stones (grit).
I am still new to chickens but have seen enough to believe that if they can swallow it, it will do no physical harm.
Nutrition? ...that's another issue.

Quote:
^ what he said.

I fed mine leftover deer corn last year. I may buy them their own special bag this year --- it's considerably cheaper than whole corn from TSC, cracked corn from TSC, or chicken scratch......all of which are well, CORN.
(Yes the deer corn they sell here is aflotoxin (or whatever it is) "free" with a guaranteed xx% or less ppb printed on the front of the bag.)

It's not like their main diet, it's just what I throw out to keep them running to me-friendly.

Sometimes I use BOSS instead, last year at Thanksgiving TSC had a good deal on 50# BOSS so that's what I got. Whole corn isn't really that much bigger than shell-on BOSS and I bet it's easier to grind up/digest

Thank you! This isn't their main diet, but they don't get to free range except in the evenings when we can be out because of the hawks, we have two pair right now who hunt constantly. I've been shucking it off the cobs and throwing it in with their BOSS so they have something to "find" to eat in their runs. :DThank you!

Mine prefer whole corn to cracked corn. I buy cracked corn for the horses and goats in the winter, and give some to the chickens. I also was buying whole corn when it became way cheaper. The chickens and goats went crazy for it and refused to eat the cracked variety ever again!

Back
Top Bottom