Under $100?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Roosterboy, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Can i get chickens for under 100 dollars? I mean with the coop materials, feeders, waterers, and chickens.

I have a a large piece of plywood and some odd shaped planks. I have tools. I have heard of people making coops really cheap but what about all together?

2. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Can it be done? YES. Will you build a coop like some of these mansions I see, NO. Build a serviceable coop with some layers, YES. Feed them for a year on $100, better have very few........

3. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    You might be able to find everything on craigslist? Its worth a try.

4. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Yes. You should be able to build a simple shelter with the plywood and planks. And, you dont need to buy feeders or waterers. You can use old dog food bowls or cake pans, etc. If you cant scrounge up any old pots and pans around home, then go to a thrift store or garage sales where old kitchenware is dirt cheap.

If you get chicks, use a small low bowl for water and put some rocks in it so that the chicks cant fall in it and drown.

Look on Craigslist.org for hens .... preferably free, or advertise that you want to adopt some hens. Try not to get tricked into taking roosters... they just eat food and dont pay any rent by laying eggs. LOL.

Also, watch garage sales and craigslist for old dog houses (make great small coops) and fencing.

Chel

5. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I built an A frame coop and run you should be able to also. I built mine for free except 1 roll of wire, and the waterer. I made a food tray so didn't have to pay for that. We used old wood people were throwing out and 1 piece of drywall my husband work had and didn't need. Post on craigs list for wanted materials or your local freetrade group if you have 1 on yahoo. Is fun getting the things you need together without spending money. The second coop we made was small for 4 bantams its a 8x4 piece of deck someone was tearing out sitting on scrap 4x4's about 4 foot high on 1 end and 5 foot on the other end with old recycled singles on top. we put a small house at the 5 ft end
    hooked to the roof but it only goes 30 inches down so they can walk around under it and they love it. Not sure I described it well but have a picture. We have made the opening to the house smaller and added a ladder since it got cold, but didn't want the to get to hot in the summer.
    [​IMG]

6. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Just built a small coop (five to seven hens) out of used wooden bunk bed set, old wooden kitchen doors, scrap wood from here and there. Wish I had a camera to get pics because it's one of those gotta see it to believe it thins. Moved the girls in and they seem just fine and happy. It's just a matter of how resourseful you can be and how motivated you are.
    Only out of pocket expense for my recent project was screws and caulking.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    YES you can!

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    sure you can...you can get all kinds of free or cheap things on craigs list..dog houses..small sheds..best of luck, Wendy

9. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    not easily no but it is possible

10. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Craigslist doesn't have much:( I didn't need the food for under $100. I just want a simple coop.

Thanks for all the answers:cool:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by