1. laurenelisabeth

laurenelisabeth Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2014
    My free range chickens love to nest under the deck during the day, and we're going to need a third coop for breeding/chicks in the spring. I've been looking into different coops and watching Craigslist BUT I like working with what I have, so I've come up with this crazy idea for a coop under the deck. Our house sits on a hill, and you can easily walk under half the deck. The other half is narrower and lower, and has an outdoor electrical outlet on the wall to run a heat lamp under for young chicks. The "wall" frames are already in place, just need to staple some chicken wire on & sink some bricks. I haven't quite figured out how to block the rain… maybe hang tarps at a slant so it all runs off? Has anyone ever done anything like this?? Open to ideas or thoughts!!

2. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you considered all the "CONS" of having a chicken coop, and do you want that so close to your house?

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    The one question I raise, is: Is any part of the deck pressure treated? I err on the side of caution, and ? if there would be a build up of heavy metals in the soil under the deck. It would be interesting to do a complete soil analysis before proceeding with your plan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by