Under developed ducklings

I have been incubating ducklings and they are on day 10 now, I was candling them and they all looked fine except from the one I will attach below. I am slightly worried it might have died, can anyone help confirm this?

Attachments

• 94859063-5897-46A2-A3A9-A25214086901.jpeg
    94859063-5897-46A2-A3A9-A25214086901.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 2
I have been incubating ducklings and they are on day 10 now, I was candling them and they all looked fine except from the one I will attach below. I am slightly worried it might have died, can anyone help confirm this?
I’m seeing veins in that one
Was the baby moving around ?
When they die all the veins go to one line or a circle and the embryo looks darker red

What kind of bedding should I use for them?
It’s a personal preference
I started with shavings my first batch and one of my little ones got a tiny piece stuck in his nose for 5 days
Thankfully the nares grow and it finally came out
Day 3 to day 8 and I even bathed him twice a day and they have water deep enough to dunk. He was trying and trying
So now I do puppy pads for the first few weeks until they start ti chew them then I switch to shavings

It’s a personal preference
I started with shavings my first batch and one of my little ones got a tiny piece stuck in his nose for 5 days
Thankfully the nares grow and it finally came out
Day 3 to day 8 and I even bathed him twice a day and they have water deep enough to dunk. He was trying and trying
So now I do puppy pads for the first few weeks until they start ti chew them then I switch to shavings
Ok and what is a good waterer to use so the can’t make a huge mess but is still deep enough?

I make my own
Butter containers and cut the lids
Any plastic container that they can reach works
As mine grew I went to the bigger butter containers
After about a week maybe 2 weeks I add a cake pan under it
This way the spills go in it instead of the floor
Most of it anyway
Cake pan start with the smaller square one then go to the bigger one as bowls gets bigger
For the first bit I leave both the shallow water and deep water dishes in
Then I just do deeper

Attachments

• 3CBA7F2D-E6AB-45A5-9A3A-991825412226.png
    3CBA7F2D-E6AB-45A5-9A3A-991825412226.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • F4325113-C2BC-451F-8674-0790C9D99D59.png
    F4325113-C2BC-451F-8674-0790C9D99D59.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
This is a food trough. Wouldn't work very well for water because you couldn't keep hardly anything in it without a getting soiled very quickly.
New duck mommy has some good ideas.
I also like cutting head holes into big containers like a Maple syrup container or a milk jug but it needs to be narrow enough so they can't get their whole body in there and go swimming.

Back
Top Bottom