Under the hedges we go!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aprhardy, Jun 28, 2011.

1. aprhardy

aprhardy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2010
    Floyd Va
    Sooo my chickens have done wonderful at laying in their nest boxes......until........I had 2 hens go broody, once that happened, I have recovered over 50 eggs from various places under the hedges.....how can I convince them that they need to go back to being good girls and laying in their nice nest boxes?? The broody hens were separated from the flock and put into their own pens, and one has hatched her eggs, and the other is still sitting. Any idea's how to get the others to go back to laying in the coop?? I really hate to pen them up bc they enjoy free ranging, and I enjoy watching them free range. However, that may be the option I am faced with. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Firework

Firework Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Minneeesooodaaa
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  3. aprhardy

aprhardy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2010
    Floyd Va
    Thank you! I will try this, perhaps it will help! How successful was it for you? Did it solve the problem you had??

Thanks again for the info!

4. Firework

Firework Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Minneeesooodaaa
    Well they still don't always lay in the nesting box, if they do lay them on the ground it's all in one little pile, so that's fine. I just didn't wan't them randomly droping them on the ground. So yep, I guess it worked ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by