Under the radar

nekcihc13

In the Brooder
Nov 25, 2015
I have completed (?) my research, chosen and adapted design elements for a three-hen coop, chosen a breed based on my location, but am wrestling with the question of legality within the confines of the city that I live in. As it is, there are many owners of noisy tropical birds that are in outdoor aviaries and completely legal, but "livestock", including the keeping of chickens, is not. I'd be liable for up to a $500 fine and/or 60 days in the slammer. I do know of roosterless flocks in the general area, but the owners are reluctant to discuss them for obvious reasons. All I want are hens, so the noise factor should be minimal. Any advice or opinions?

Parrots, big macaws and the like. The macaw can be heard screeching blocks away. I am in close proximity to my neighbors. Suburban neighborhood. No rooster+much less noise to tip me off to the "law".

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I would strongly advise you to check with your city hall and make certain you are legal before you get your birds as sooner or later, some grumpy neighbor is going to report you. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. I hope things work out where you can get your birds.

welcome-byc.gif

Please be sure you have the legal right to have chickens on your property before getting them. In addition to the possibility of fines, it can be hard to re-home a flock (and hard on the birds). Plus, it would be tough to get attached to your birds only to have to get rid of them. Even rooster-less flocks can get loud, with their clucking, squabbling and egg songs...it's pretty hard to keep them a secrete.

I hope you can get your local laws changed to allow having some...that might be easier to do if you haven't gone against the current laws. I hope things will work out in your favor.

Good luck!

Maybe you could try out a house chicken or two. Breeds like silkies or seramas, tolerate confinement well. They are likely to pass as some exotic bird species. It would be a lot less difficult to rehome a bird or two, especially after they have been socialized as house pets.

Back
Top Bottom