Under what circumstances can I open the bator while hatching?

Buster

Back to Work
12 Years
Jan 4, 2008
The Frozen Wasteland of Idaho
I have 34 Orpington eggs in my Hovabator 1588 right now and two have hatched. One died as soon as it kicked out of the shell and the other is right as rain. No other eggs have pipped yet but it's way too early to call it quits (Today is day 21). Will the dead chick start to decay and be harmful to the others who have hatched and who are yet to hatch? Should I remove it? Or will it cause more damage to open the incubator to remove it? Any advice would be appreciated.

I would remove it and the egg shell quickly and if you need to add water make it quite warm which will keep the humidity and heat up. So sad but it happens.
idunno.gif

I would take it out now and add warm water to the incubator to get the hum back up quick...but thats just me...wait for other opinions as well.
~Rebecca

I'd also dispose of the dead chick. Better to take it out then risk the others pipping and getting bacteria from it on them.

You should be fine for a minute or so to do this, don't worry.

LOL MissPrissy. I just got up and was so absorbed watching a chick zip that I forgot to come up and update. Excluding the one that died, I have one healthy chick that hatched and is playing cheer leader for the others. One is zipping and two more have pipped. These are all Orpington eggs. 28 from Julie and 6 from my own whites and buffs (guess I should say my son's buffs.
tongue.png
) These are eggs that I incubated in the borrowed Sportsman and moved to the Hovabator 1588 to hatch. I'll keep you posted as the day goes on.

Back
Top Bottom