Underbite Hen?

Kung Foo Chicken

Songster
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
Upstate, South Carolina
Someone gave me a hen today that appears to have a severe underbite. I mention this as it looks like the bottom bill is longer than the top. The original owner was gonna cull her. She appears not to be able to close her mouth completely. I'm hoping someone from here knows if anything can be done to help. I'll get some photos in the morning if anyone cares to see this. She can eat or drink but looks uncomfortable with not being able to close her mouth all the way.

Thanks in advance.

Is she a cross beak or was she de-beaked? If so she can still have a good life as a pet as long as you have the feeders deep enough for her to scoop her feed.

Nope to both. She doesn't appear to be crossbeak from photos I've looked at online and the top beak hasn't been cut. It's more so the bottom half of the beak is longer than the top and doesn't close all the way. I'll get some photos in the AM.

Last edited:
15659_img_0037.jpg

15659_img_0036.jpg

Ok sorry for the delay. The Camera didn't want to agree with me. Sorry for the photos
being somewhat blurry the digital camera isn't very good.

Last edited:
Bump up as this chicken seems to have a hard time eating. The beak isn't crossed rather the top part of the beak is shorter so the two pieces of the beak do not meet up properly. Think of it as the point crook of the top of the beak closes in the middle of it's lower beak keeping the chicken from closing it's mouth properly. I watched it eating today where it pecks food that just falls out of it's mouth. Is there a way to trim the lower beak?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom