Is this wet pox, canker, or something else? Please help.

Breezed

Songster
7 Years
Dec 28, 2016
Naples, FL
I've dealt with pox before and many other issues but never a severe case like this. This hen started having respiratory issues and we gave her basic respiratory medicine and she seemed to do better for a little while and then my husband noticed she went downhill fast. We haven't been able to catch her until today because I think she is so weak now. Her tongue is basically pasted to the bottom of her mouth due to the lesions or whatever it is. It smells really bad and she can't move her tongue at all and has bubbling come out of the sides of her mouth. Do I need to remove the lesions? If so any advice/suggestions on how to safely to do this/ is there a way to soften it up so she can move her tongue? I've read lots of mentions of using iodine, is this ok inside the mouth and do you apply it afterwards or something? I'm not sure what to do in such a severe case so please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0369.jpeg
    IMG_0369.jpeg
    368.5 KB · Views: 45
I've dealt with pox before and many other issues but never a severe case like this. This hen started having respiratory issues and we gave her basic respiratory medicine and she seemed to do better for a little while and then my husband noticed she went downhill fast. We haven't been able to catch her until today because I think she is so weak now. Her tongue is basically pasted to the bottom of her mouth due to the lesions or whatever it is. It smells really bad and she can't move her tongue at all and has bubbling come out of the sides of her mouth. Do I need to remove the lesions? If so any advice/suggestions on how to safely to do this/ is there a way to soften it up so she can move her tongue? I've read lots of mentions of using iodine, is this ok inside the mouth and do you apply it afterwards or something? I'm not sure what to do in such a severe case so please any help would be greatly appreciated.
That's a pretty bad case of canker.

I agree with @MysteryChicken it's canker. You must treat it by scraping the lesions from the mouth. It will not be easy as it will tend to bleed, but it's necessary so the chicken can eat and drink. Otherwise, death can result.

Order this https://jedds.com/products/metronidazole-20?_pos=1&_sid=e746df0b8&_ss=r Treat the whole flock.
What is best to scrape with? I tried using a cotton swab and got some off but not nearly enough. Her tongue is moving now but bulbous. Also if I treat my whole flock, there is egg withdrawal for this medicine correct? Any idea how long?

You will need to be resourceful in finding the right tool. It must be hard edged but with a blunted, no pointed, tip and small enough to fit in the chicken's mouth. Pull open your kitchen junk drawer and your kitchen utensil drawer. A small measuring spoon might work. If that fails, look in your bathroom drawers. A cuticle tool would work. No, a Q-tip won't loosen the lesions.

Back
Top Bottom