fowl pox mouth lesions

Emrosenagel

Chirping
Oct 2, 2020
So, recently I discovered my flock has a case of fowl pox (i only have three birds, and they all seem to be mildly affected), or at least that's that I think it is. They (scabs) are mostly on their feet and toes and only one has a scab on her comb. it's been a little over a week since I discovered the scabs on the feet, and no more have showed up. I checked their mouths three days ago and all was clear, but I went to check today and I swore i saw a yellowish patch in one's mouth (patient zero) and a small one in one of the others. But when I went to check again, they vanished. Do the mouth lesions just fall off that easily, leaving no mark behind? Or was it something else just stuck in their mouths?

Can you post any pictures of fowl pox scabs and any yellow material in the beaks? Hard to know if they had some feed stuck in the beaks or what. Wet fowl pox causes yellow plaques inside the mouth and beak. Canker is another disease that can cause that and may smell bad. Pox usually causes scabs on combs, wattles, and the face, but sometimes it can cause scabs on other body parts.

@Eggcessive
So it’s very hard to take pictures of them as they’re quite skittish and young right now, but this is the only one with a scab on the comb. No more have popped up on their faces since this one did about four days ago. She has scabs on her toes though, which i first noticed about 8 or 9 days ago. The other two have maybe one toe scab and nothing on their faces. They have nothing yellow on their beaks, and the yell patches I saw in their mouths (on the roof and a little further back) have vanished completely, so I can’t provide pics. These little ladies are about 19 weeks now, and fresh off a very wet and hot summer, so fowl pox seems likely to have happened. But maybe I’m wrong, I’m not entirely sure.
940362AC-4CBF-4A4B-80AD-FFD876D25565.jpeg
43190AE7-8660-4617-9D42-3BD3189C06EC.jpeg
BBB91D59-F783-4C52-9258-735E8108F288.jpeg

The spot on the comb may just be a pecking injury. That can happen with pecking order spats. The spots on the feet look more like injury or irritation. I would use some plain triple antibiotic ointment on those, and just keep an eye on them. They may have gotten caught in wire somewhere, or hung up on something else.

The spot on the comb may just be a pecking injury. That can happen with pecking order spats. The spots on the feet look more like injury or irritation. I would use some plain triple antibiotic ointment on those, and just keep an eye on them. They may have gotten caught in wire somewhere, or hung up on something else.
Could it be their roost? She’s a bantam with smaller feet and the roost is kind of wide (2 inches). It was very odd because she had the scabs on the same toe, in the same spot, on both feet. Or perhaps when her feet feathers were growing, she preened a bit too hard and caused a wound?

Hard to say. Examine roosts, for cracks, gaps, splintering. Look around at everything from chicken eye level, see if you spot anything that could be an issue. It's possible that another bird could have pecked at incoming new feathers, chicks will peck at anything. I use 2 x 4's and 2 x 3's for roosts, always have, and they've never been a problem. I paint mine to prevent splits and splinters. They look like they are healing, you just want to make sure they heal and don't become bumblefoot. Irritation on the toes can also be sometimes caused by irritation from walking in a lot of built up droppings, particularly if there are damp or wet conditions.

Last edited:
Hard to say. Examine roosts, for cracks, gaps, splintering. Look around at everything from chicken eye level, see if you spot anything that could be an issue. It's possible that another bird could have pecked at incoming new feathers, chicks will peck at anything. I use 2 x 4's and 2 x 3's for roosts, always have, and they've never been a problem. I paint mine to prevent splits and splinters. They look like they are healing, you just want to make sure they heal and don't become bumblefoot. Irritation on the toes can also be sometimes caused by irritation from walking in a lot of built up droppings, particularly if there are damp or we conditions.
I will check around the run tomorrow. I’ve been spraying them once or twice a day with vetericyn because around the joints gets a little raw. And since we do live in Florida, we did get quite a bit of rain a few weeks ago, to the point part of our backyard is still flooded (not accessible to the chickens). That was around when the scabs popped up.
Thank you very much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom