Underweight pekin

So are they rare? Or just a mix up? It's hard to find pictures of them. What color will her eggs be? Is it possible she is a Pekin magpie mix? Again, can magpies fly? I mean she really hasn't tried but she can grt off the ground more so then my drake?

I guess this means I have to change my signature!!
hmm.png

Stanbridge is in the same family as a magpie... literally! You can breed your stan whites to hatch more stan whites, or a white bird from magpie colored pied parents is also considered a stanbridge according to what I've read. They are supposedly very rare, but neither the magpies or the stanbridges are listed on the ALBC chart that I can see.

I adopted a pair of magpies yesterday, and there is no WAY those hens can fly lol. They had a hard enough time hopping 5" into the pool I gave them.

You're not going to get a mix bird from a hatchery-- as I understand they keep all the breeds in their own sections.

Her eggs should look just like magpie eggs (greenish I think?)

Again, they are supposed to be a rare strain, lots of people boast the ones they've gotten from Holderreads, so I think you won the lucky duck lotto
smile.png

I guess since she was going to a feed store, they just put her in the shipment with all the other white birds. Half of the ducklings there were large and half were smaller. She was a smaller one. Is that typical for hatcheries to do that? They were definitely all white ducks, no spotted or black.
Well I will consider myself lucky. If they breed I am guessing the baby would be a pekin x Stanbridge?

yes, it would be pekin x stanbridge and you might get some throwback pied ducklings.

When feed stores (the one's near me anyway-- I asked) usually order ducks they often order the "hatchers choice" straight run, which is an assortment made up of a mixed box of ducklings left over after the special orders were filled. It's about a 2$ per duck savings for them, and they usually end up with mostly pekins just because that is what there is the most of.

The feed store I go to the most that orders poultry says that the ones that are "cool colors" (different varieties) get picked out first and are gone the first day or two.

Back
Top Bottom