Undeveloped or Deformed Chest Cavity

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CheshieChick13, Oct 28, 2010.

1. CheshieChick13

CheshieChick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

One of the chicks from my most recent hatch had an underdeveloped or deformed chest cavity.
    This is what I observed.....
    For the first two days I could tell something was wrong with the chick, but couldn't put my finger on it. It wasn't stargazing/wryneck or splay leg, but the chick was completely off balance and just looked odd. It was also carrying its wings very strange. It was also doing a lot of open mouth breathing, but no goo or watery eyes like you would see with a respiratory illness. It also hatched out that way.
    Just to be safe, I kept it seperate under a brooder lamp to see if it would perk up. The poor thing just started just falling over forward, and just seemed to be getting worse. As I was holding it I noticed its chest felt strange. It was very flat. I went and compared it to one of the healthy chicks and sure enough its chest cavity felt and looked totally different. It also looked more like a penguin chick than a chicken when it was standing. It was really weird.

I did decide to cull, that seemed to be the most humane thing to do [​IMG]

Has anyone else ever had this happen?

~Steph

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by