Undigested food in droppings, update on page 3

Nambroth

Fud Lady
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Western NY
My Coop
My Coop
I have a very sweet salmon faverolles pullet that I am worried about. Maybe about a week ago I noticed that her droppings were becoming very wet, and last night when I went to check on her she seems to have lost weight and is skinny in the keel bone. Maybe you have suggestions for me...

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Salmon Faverolles pullet, 8 months old, feels thin (weighs in at 3lb 5oz)
2) What is the behavior, exactly. This is complicated because she is lowest on the pecking order, but she hangs by herself, sometimes for hours, sulking under the coop.. the other chickens push her around a lot. Otherwise she eats moderately well, and keeps some food in her crop though she doesn't eat vigorously like the other chickens. When I brought her inside to see if it was a bullying issue she still isn't eating a whole lot. She seems to be drinking a lot more than usual. Otherwise perky and happy indoors. Her droppings are loose, very watery, with some green solids mixed in and sometimes a bit of undigested grain. She has access to granite grit and outdoor gravel. Grit is offered at all times. She seems underweight to me, especially feeling her keel.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Approximately one week.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. None.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Unknown. No changes in food, care, no new stress, etc.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Yes. Eating small to moderate amounts, drinking a lot.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Very watery with green solids, sometimes undigested grains.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Separated from other chickens to see if she is stressed out / bullied by them. Offering kefir as a probiotic. Continuing to offer crushed granite grit.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Would prefer to treat her myself, but am willing to see a vet if it is vital.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Medium sized coop with pine flake bedding, large fully enclosed run with gravel. Right now temperatures are in the 20-30°F range.

What should I do? I have her indoors for now because it seemed like she was burning calories fighting the cold faster than she could replace them. She's perky and exploring the house right now (which is exciting, considering her watery poo!) and eating off and on. Could worms cause the loose droppings? She is drinking often, but I know she's not been too warm because she's been outside up until now.

Last edited:
Here is a photo of one of her droppings, she did this while I was posting!

coho%20dropping.jpg

Sometimes they are even more loose than this, and you can see a few undigested bits of grain and part of an undigested field pea.

I don't know enough to offer advice - I did raise dogs and in their case I would suspect kidney or bladder involvement and possibly diabetes if they were drinking 'lots of water.' Would take their temp etc., I'm guessing there is no way to do that with chickens and who would know what is normal for them. I am the world's biggest (shortest) worrier and I would take her to the vet if I was able to do so.

Quote:
Thanks! I actually did look at the poop chart, and I know it's not unusual for chickens to have loose droppings sometimes, but I am worried because they have been consistently watery for a week now. Her droppings used to be very firm and well shaped.

If I take her to the vet, it's a two hour car ride each way plus vet fees... I'd estimate about $180 just to get her looked at, and if they need to run tests perhaps more than that. She is worth the money to me but if it is something more simple that I can do at home I would prefer that route.
smile.png

Things to check:

Have you wormed them?
have you checked the crop to see if it is emptying?

The green part is from not digesting enough food and she's probably dehydrated from watery poop. I would get her on some vitamin/electrolyte water and add a little sugar to make her thirsty and give a boost of energy. Have you wormed her? If not dropping weight, could be a sign or worms just because you havent seen them in the poop doesnt mean they dont have an infestation. Since she's the lowest in the pecking maybe shes just getting pushed back and not getting enough food.

Quote:
Her crop empties regularly, as she is a sweet chicken and lets me handle her multiple times a day.

I have not wormed them yet- do you recommend it be the next course of action?
Fortunately she is still drinking very well for me and I have her on vitamins as well.

would your vet let you post a sample of her poop to them? That's what my vet does. They'd be able to tell you if she needs worming too.

I wouldn't worm a sick bird unless I knew it was worms that were making her sick. If their weak wormers can do more harm than good.

Back
Top Bottom