undigested food in poop and is laying eggs that are cracked but not broken.

Kmcschoolee

Chirping
Feb 9, 2021
I have a hen that has watery undigested stools and she has been laying eggs that are cracked but not broken. She acts fine and eats fine. She is running around like normal. I wormed them a couple weeks ago with ivermectin drops on her neck because another one of my chickens had round worms. Any other ideas as to what may be causing these issues. I do not know her age because she was given to me. I have had her for about a year and this is new.

Yes they get both in their food at all times, They are on Dumor pellet food
The shells are thin sometimes. I am afraid that with the watery undigested food she is not getting the nutrition she is needing. I did use the ivermectin on the back of her neck twice 1 week apart. So I doubt its worms but idk. Her droppings look like pellet food added to water and mashed up.

Oyster shell and grit are better offered separately from food as free choice items. Each chicken has different calcium and grit needs so grit should be offered in a separate container as oyster shell in another. That way a chicken needing more can eat more whenever she craves these things. Putting it into food risks those that don't need it getting too much and those that need it not getting enough.

Try the above. It could make a difference.

Oyster shell and grit are better offered separately from food as free choice items. Each chicken has different calcium and grit needs so grit should be offered in a separate container as oyster shell in another. That way a chicken needing more can eat more whenever she craves these things. Putting it into food risks those that don't ed it getting too much and those that need it not getting enough.

Try the above. It could make a difference.
I will do that. Would it caouse the problems witht he droppings though?

Not enough grit in the gizzard would permit undigested food material to pass through the intestines. This undigested stuff represents food nutrients that were not able to be absorbed while passing through the intestines. This is elementary.

It could follow, now just theorizing, that excess fluids might be present in the poop because this food passes through too quickly. Proper grit can resolve a lot of problems.

Back
Top Bottom