Unemployment Benefits

Got a letter from the UI, hubby will NOT be getting his unemployment benefits.... they gave a reason but that reason given on the letter was so vague and it is not clear at all. It did say it was determined by the Unfair act for Unemployment law of 1975 blah blah blah.

Why can't they say right out front "Employer refused to pay UI because of (put in reason)"?

Monday we will appeal and fight it. I will have to go back to Public Aid office and let them know that his UI has been denied.

Darn bills are piling up. May have to take daughter out of private school next month if UI will drag its feet.

Well, bad economic times also are good times for self employment. If one has a particular skill like plumbing or carpentry, little small jobs done discretely and paid for in cash can be a key to survival. I am not one to encourage cheating on income taxes, but we have to survive, and the government's policies are pushing us to the edge.

Well, bad economic times also are good times for self employment. If one has a particular skill like plumbing or carpentry, little small jobs done discretely and paid for in cash can be a key to survival. I am not one to encourage cheating on income taxes, but we have to survive, and the government's policies are pushing us to the edge.
Actually, that would depend on the area you live in. My FIL is a general contractor and my BIL is a plumber that used to have his own business. When times started getting tough folks STOPPED paying for a plumber to come out to do things for them that they figured that they could get a DIY book to show them how to do whatever. BIL had to close his business and go work for a larger business since he wasn't getting enough business to keep going the way they had been where as 5-6 years ago both he and his wife had been able to quit their other jobs and were supporting a rather lavish life-style on just their plumbing work alone. Now they are on government assistance and borrowing money from my in-laws like crazy to keep from losing their house. My in-laws are suffuring too. FIL once had 6-8 houses in the works at any given time but now he only has a few small jobs at a time while working for the power company 5 days a week to help make ends meet.

I have a neighbor that has a yard sale every weekend. I am not sure where she gets the stuff she sells, but a lot of it looks like new unused items. Most of the people in my neighborhood are undocumented immigrants. There is a whole sub rosa economy here. Cash is the key. They work for cash, and there are no records.

People go door to door selling stuff. I know there are laws against that, but they don't care. The tamales are delicious.

I agree, although my company doesn't ask or try to get paid in cash, I am amazed at how many people offer to do it when it's affordable. They always say "the less $ we can keep out of the goverments hands ......."I never payed much attention to taxes until starting my own business and my brother mostly handles that portion of it, but the amount one has to fork out and to all the different areas can break a company right off the bat.

Actually, that would depend on the area you live in. My FIL is a general contractor and my BIL is a plumber that used to have his own business. When times started getting tough folks STOPPED paying for a plumber to come out to do things for them that they figured that they could get a DIY book to show them how to do whatever. BIL had to close his business and go work for a larger business since he wasn't getting enough business to keep going the way they had been where as 5-6 years ago both he and his wife had been able to quit their other jobs and were supporting a rather lavish life-style on just their plumbing work alone. Now they are on government assistance and borrowing money from my in-laws like crazy to keep from losing their house. My in-laws are suffuring too. FIL once had 6-8 houses in the works at any given time but now he only has a few small jobs at a time while working for the power company 5 days a week to help make ends meet.

I would agree with this too, esp. with plumbing. The "big box" stores all carry things that are intended to make the job easier but I take it upon myself to help educate the average Joe. I can't speak for other materials sold at these stores but I can for the plumbing. I categorized the plumbing products into 3 groups. Cheap quality, overpriced, and cheap quality that is overpriced. Believe it or not these stores don't really benefit on solving your problem rather than selling you products knowing it won't last and that "gee they were so helpful I think I'll go back for more things." There now your edjamacated!

Those big box stores just might be in for some trouble. I see where some restaurant chains are putting some staff on twenty or twenty eight hour schedules so that they don't have to pay that fine of $2,000 per employee for the health care law. They are getting a lot of flack over that, but if a company cannot make a profit, it has to go out of business. Did half the nation flunk economics? Seems that way. I smell pink slips.

Worse, we cannot leave and start over somewhere else. Check out the restrictions on transferring money out of the country. Google FATCA.

Good news! We went to Public Aid and Unemployment office today....hubby will be getting his benefits simply because of an error they didn't correct from his previous job that he applied and got another job, and he didn't call them back to let them know that he got a job. So they put a "hold" on his status..its been over two and half years ago from the previous employer to this one. Now we can breathe a bit easier but hubby still wants to go out and look for work.

Public Aid lost our paperwork and the supervisor put a ERGENT status on our applications. He did remember us being here the last time and he does not know when or why it got lost. Weird but I know there were TONS of people today, companies are laying employees off.....long lines and testy folks LOL!

Back
Top Bottom