Uneven legs at 4 weeks

Beth42

Songster
Jul 28, 2020
Cornwall, UK
Hi - I posted a few weeks back about my wonky duckling, who had a slightly splayed leg which made her walk with a lean. The hobble we applied fixed the problem, but now it appears to be back and she is struggling to get around.
It looks like her left leg is shorter as she can’t seem to get her heel on the ground. She has also become very shaky in her legs when standing. We have reintroduced brewers yeast, but was wondering if we should hobble her again or is she told old for this to work now?

Hobbling may help. @CoriM can help.

Go to TSC and get Liquid B complex. Brewers yeast isn't going to help at this stage.
Give your duckling 1ml over a tasty treat like meal worms just enough treat he gets full dose. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
27DBD5A0-3CA9-4D1A-B0C6-035B5ACB1DF0.jpeg

I’m based in the uk, so no TSC. I have seen similar b complex but is it ok to give the injectable stuff orally?? I can find vit b for dogs - is that ok?
I have some nutritional yeast arriving tomorrow after reading on here that it is better than brewers. I have another 10 ducklings, so it will all get used regardless...

Nutritional yeast is def better than brewers yeast, but when one is having trouble it's best to go with the liquid B complex they just get going so much better on it. Then after they are 10 weeks old use the NY a coulpe times a week sprinkled over their feed. If this one isn't having any more problems. Injectable is fine to give orally. Is this vitamin B complex for dogs? I'd have to look it up and compare.

I followed the link you gave and saw it had niacinamide 70 mg - that's the same ingredient mine has but mine has 100 mg in each ml. So you might need to give a little bit more, but I would get that right away. You can't overdose them as it will go through their systems, so err on giving them a little extra than being so worried about giving too much, and it's fine if all your ducklings consume it. I kept my duckling on it for months and probably just gradually pulled it back after she was 100%. I still add it to their food every now and then just to make sure she's getting enough.

Different size legs is a different issue that I don't know anything about. I did keep the hobbles on my duckling with splay leg for quite awhile - at least a month maybe?

Back
Top Bottom