Unexpected Chick integration

Hello all!

We just moved to Oklahoma from Florida and I am finally starting my chicken journey! My friend here in OK asked us if we wanted to purchase her coop since she is moving and of course, I agreed. I knew she had lost a bunch of her flock to predators, but I didn't realize she still had 4 chickens, that will be coming with the coop. No big deal, super excited about them! But I also ordered chicks from a hatchery, and they are being delivered next week. I am now scrambling to read all of my chicken literature on how to integrate the chicks when it's time. And surprisingly there isn't a lot of info in my books! I had originally planned on putting the chicks in the coop when it was time, but now I've got to plan something else.

A little more info...the chicks will be in a brooder inside with a Brinsea EcoGlow...don't know if that matters or not. I know it's good to have the chicks see each other but not able to interact, for a while. But we will only have the one coop. I appreciate any advise/tips!

Here is my recent experience. I have 3 BO hens. I’ve had them for 2 years and decided to add 3 more EE’s which are smaller. I raised the chicks inside until they were about 12 weeks because I’m in WI and it’s cold. I bought a small run extension similar to this: https://chickenoutfitter.com/produc..._e4KCzX8XndwSoZRYsuPSxn39u6_VLrMaAiCOEALw_wcB

I made a small coop out of wood for shelter and covered the top of the extension and fastened it to the outside of the main run. I left them in there for a week to get used to their home.

I let the BO hens free range when I get home from work until dusk and on weekends but we had a few mishaps once I started letting them free range together. I have about a half acre fenced in for the hens and when I first started letting them out together I accidentally left the door open to the coop extension once and the hens cornered a pullet and were pretty nasty. I caught it right away and broke it up because I don’t think they were going to stop and the pullets were only around 13 weeks. After that I started alternating them free ranging because the adult hens seemed interested. Fast forward to the pullets now being 16 weeks and I’ve been free ranging them together for the last week and though they still keep to their separate flocks the adult hens pretty much ignore the pullets and the pullets have learned to stay out of their way. Every day the pullets get closer while free ranging and the hens continue to ignore. I plan to try to integrate them into the same coop/run in the next 2-4 weeks.

My point here is I learned that I need to be patient. You should be prepared to keep them separated for some time. It has taken a full month for them to calm down and accept the newcomers just seeing them, and I still haven’t put them together in an enclosed area, but I feel like it’s close. Best of luck!

I know it's been a while, but we've been working hard on getting everything ready for the chicks to go outside. The coop that we bought was about 4x4. I didn't feel comfortable stuffing so many birds into it so my husband and I spent all last weekend adding to it. We basically doubled the coop, but added three nesting boxes, so there is 5 total now. We still need to add a baby door, ramp, and a little mini run for the chicks (doing that this weekend). We have hardware cloth separating the two sections right now so the chicks and the hens can get acquainted without anything happening until I feel comfortable letting them integrate.

The chicks are almost 3 weeks old and are quickly outgrowing their brooder. I would love to move them to the coop but we are going to have 100 degree temps for a couple weeks here in Oklahoma. Is that too hot for them? They are barely using their heating plate now, just to sleep under.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 9.30.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 9.30.21 AM.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 9.30.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 9.30.31 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom